Transportation Permits (Oversize/Overweight Vehicles)

Contact Transportation Permits

Transportation Permit Types
  • During normal office hours, call: (916) 322-1297. Office Hours are 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
    (Closed on weekends and State Holidays).
  • After-Hours (for Emergencies), call: (916) 653-3442
  • For permit status, call (916) 322-1297 during office hours.


Travel Alerts

Restrictions and Emergency Closures

Transportation Permit Types

The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) has discretionary authority with respect to highways under its jurisdiction and may, upon application and if good cause appears, issue a special permit to operate or move a vehicle or combination of vehicles or special mobile equipment of a size or weight of vehicle or load exceeding the maximum limitations specified in the California Vehicle Code. The Caltrans Office of Commercial Vehicle Operations is responsible for the issuance of these special transportation permits for oversize/overweight vehicles on the State Highway System.

(Please make sure to use the latest version of Acrobat Reader. Still experiencing issues accessing a form?)

  • Single Trip Permit - loads greater than 8'-6" wide, 14'-0" high, and over 80,000 pounds.
  • Annual Permit - loads up to 12'-0" wide, 14'-0" high, and Kingpin to Rear Axle (KPRA) 40'-0" maximum (except as specifically allowed per CVC). Travel on red routes prohibited.
  • Repetitive Permit - loads up to 12'-0" wide, 14'-6" high, and 90'-0" long.
  • Sea Container Permit - 4-Axle tractor and 3-Axle trailer of maximum Overall Length (OAL) of 65'-0", and Kingpin to Rear Axle (KPRA) 40'-0" maximum, transporting intermodal cargo containers on state highways in the vicinity of the Port of Los Angeles and the Port of Long Beach.
  • Variance Permit - vehicles greater than 15'-0" wide, 17'-0" high, and 135'-0" long, or on special hauling equipment which exceeds the Department's standard method of weight classification.
  • Motorsport Permit - vehicles going to an Automobile Competition Committee for the United States (ACCUS) sanctioned event at one of the locations currently authorized per vehicle code.
  • STARS2 (Caltrans Single-Trip Application and Routing System 2) - STARS2 is an electronic method to obtain single-trip permits that requires customers to have a Caltrans debtor account and internet access to apply.
  • How To Apply For Transportation Permits

Documents & Forms