The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is committed to enhanced digital accessibility. Our website was developed in compliance with California Government Code section 7405, which requires that all state agencies comply with Section 508 of the federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Caltrans' website was developed to meet Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 AA success criteria and includes enhanced mobile optimization and compatibility with assistive technologies.
There are various types of physical disabilities that impact user interaction on the web. Vision loss, hearing loss, limited manual dexterity, and cognitive disabilities are examples, with each having different means by which to access electronic information effectively. Our goal is to provide a good web experience for all visitors.
If you are experiencing any difficulty navigating the site due to a disability, please contact us and we will assist you in making this information available.
Listed below are accessibility features, tools, and navigation methods available across the website.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
The website adheres to WCAG 2.1 AA Guidelines and Success Criteria organized under the following 4 principles:
- Provide text alternatives for non-text content.
- Provide captions and other alternatives for multimedia.
- Create content that can be presented in different ways, including by assistive technologies, without losing meaning.
- Make it easier for users to see and hear content.
- Make all functionality available from a keyboard.
- Give users enough time to read and use content.
- Do not use content that causes seizures.
- Help users navigate and find content.
- Make text readable and understandable.
- Make content appear and operate in predictable
- Help users avoid and correct mistakes.
- Maximize compatibility with current and future user tools
- These additions increase the level of accessibility and empowerment to our audience in creating a fully accessible website and documents.
Caltrans’ website uses Alternative Text “ALT” and/or “TITLE” attributes. ALT/TITLE attributes provide a written description of the image, which is accessible to screen readers, and visible when the mouse is placed over an image. This is also useful for people who have images turned off on their browser, in which case a description will display in place of where the image used to be.
Caltrans’ website is mobile optimized and uses default fonts that allow users to customize the size based on their preference.
Located at the top of each page (except the home page) and directly below the main navigation, breadcrumbs provide a trail of where you are and where you have been. Breadcrumbs make it easier to navigate your way back to the root folder.
Our website is configured using highly accessible color contrast combinations. Adjusting contrast can be done by the user customizing their own web browser.
Examples of customization are:
- Invert colors
- Differentiate without color
- Increase contrast
- Reduce transparency
- Display contrast
- Cursor size
Navigate through our web pages without the use of a mouse.
(Note: Some commands may not work with every Internet browser version.)
|If you want to...||Select...|
|Increase text size||Ctrl + +|
|Decrease text size||Ctrl - -|
|Move forward from link to link||Tab|
|Move backward from link to link||Shift + Tab|
|Move from box to box||Tab|
|Go to top of page||Ctrl + Home|
|Go to bottom of page||Ctrl + End|
|Close window||Ctrl + W|
|Go back a page||Alt + Left Arrow|
|Go forward a page||Alt + Right Arrow|
|Go to search box||Alt + S|
More Keyboard Shortcuts
- California’s Accessibility Standards
- Americans with Disabilities Act Notice
- California Commission on Disability Access (CCDA)
- California Department of Rehabilitation (DoR)
If we are unable to assist you in gaining access to requested information, a grievance may be filed with Caltrans Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO).
Infrastructure ADA Program
Phone (Toll Free): (866) 810-6346
Phone (Local): (916) 324-1999
Digital ADA Program
Phone (Toll Free): (833) 713-2922