Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) Signs
Local agencies in California authorized by legislation in the California Streets and Highways Code and California Vehicle Code may install signs in areas with established NEV Transportation Plans. The California Department of Transportation has developed sign guidance for use in NEV Transportation Plan Communities.
- To designate a Class III NEV - Bike Routes.
- To designate a Class III NEV Route.
- To designate a hybrid Class II NEV - Bike Lane.
- Alternate sign to designate a Class II NEV - Bike Lane, to install with the same width of the BEGIN (R81A(CA) (PDF) ) and END (R81B(CA) (PDF) ) header plaques.
- To designate NEV parking spaces with or without Electric Vehicle Charging stations.
- To post above a button for an actuated traffic signal to identify that NEV - Bike road users must use push button to actuate the traffic signal.
- To identify roadways where NEV traffic is prohibited.
- To install as a subplaque below the NEV PROHIBITED sign (as shown above) at the endpoint of an NEV path, lane or route.
For further assistance, contact:
Sarah Horn | (916) 662-2397 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Traffic Control Devices
Policy & Guidance
- CA MUTCD | Get Email Notifications
- Division Policy:
- CA Numbered Exit Uniform System (Cal-NExUS)
- Contractor-Furnished Sign & Standard Plans
- Construction Project Funding Identification Signs
- Neighborhood Electric Vehicle (NEV) Signs
- Sign Charts
- Sign Specification Drawings | Spec Updates
- Specific Service (Business Logo) Signs
- Tourist Oriented Directional Signs
- Victims Memorial Signs
- Zero-Emission Vehicle Signage