Design provides the policies, standards, procedures, guidance, technical assistance, and training needed to develop and maintain a safe, sustainable, integrated and efficient transportation system.
The Design Program innovates design solutions by:
- Ensuring the adoption of “Best Practices” and design information to promote safety, statewide consistency, efficiency and quality.
- Assisting in the application of design standards and practices to facilitate the resolution of project development issues.
- Providing technical support and design expertise on highway design issues related to motor vehicles, bicycles and pedestrians.
- Establishing flexibility in Caltrans highway design standards and procedures, especially in the context of urban environments and multi-model design.
Construction Contract Standards
Innovative Design & Delivery Methods
- An Introduction to Landscape Architecture
- Erosion Control Design (Includes the Erosion Control Toolbox)
- Landscape Architecture and Community Livability
- Plan or Design a State Highway Roadside Project
- Program a State Highway Roadside Project
- Roadside Management Toolbox
- Seed Plant Calculator (TransPlant)
- Visual Impact Assessment (VIA) for Projects on State Highway System (Includes the VIA Preparation Questionnaire Tool)
Manuals & Guidance
- Computer Aided Design and Drafting (CADD) Users Manual
- CADD Consultant Resource Files and Guidance
- Design Information Bulletins (DIBs)
- Design Memoranda
- Fish Passage Design for Roadway Crossings Guidance
- Highway Design Manual (HDM)
- Plans Preparation Manual (PPM)
- Project Development Procedures Manual (PDPM)
- Project Planning and Design Guide (PPDG)
- Cost Estimating Resources
- Encroachments and Utilities
- Freeway Agreements and Route Matters
- Hydraulics and Stormwater
- Resolutions of Necessity