Standard Plans, Standard Specifications and Contract Item Codes
The use of the California Department of Transportation Standards is required to ensure that all transportation project contracts are clear, concise, correct, complete and in compliance with the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). Substantial justification and approval for deviation from the Standards is required. Deviation should be rare and will not be approved for minor or preferential changes.
These Standards are the culmination of extensive development by the Department's most competent and proficient professionals. Concurrence has been obtained from stakeholders, including the Construction Division, Legal Division and FHWA. When applicable, concurrence has also been obtained from industry and other agencies.
- Caltrans Memorandum - Implementation of the 2023 Construction Contract Standards, 04/21/2023 (PDF)
- Caltrans Memorandum - Implementation of Integrated Construction Contract Standards, 11/05/2021 (PDF)
The next Standards update will be the 2023 midcycle posting (SSPs, Revised Standard Plans, and Bid Item updates) to be implemented on January 22, 2024.
Sign Up For Email Notifications of Changes
IMPORTANT NOTICE - IF YOU SIGNED UP FOR NOTIFICATIONS IN 2019 OR LATER, YOU WILL NEED TO RE-SUBSCRIBE. IF YOU ARE UNSURE ABOUT YOUR SUBSCRIPTION STATUS, PLEASE SUBSCRIBE AGAIN.
For updated SSP, Special Notices, and any Standards Documents
- CONSULTANTS – please contact your official Caltrans point of contact or contract manager
- LOCAL AGENCIES – please contact the District Local Assistance Engineer (DLAE)
- All other inquiries – please contact HQ.Design.Webmaster@dot.ca.gov