101 Express Lanes Construction Update
In Case You Missed It! Check out the new project video to learn more about the scope and sequence of construction, now available on 101express.com.
** Note: Closures are possible at the Northbound Dore Avenue Off-Ramp starting at 4:00 PM this week. See “Nighttime Ramp Closures” below for more details.
Construction Update – Week of August 9th
This Week: Construction activities on U.S. 101 will include: continued work on the sound walls along Bayshore Boulevard (from Newbridge Avenue to just past Dakota Avenue, from 2nd Avenue to Dore Avenue, and from Dore Avenue to East Poplar Avenue), all within the City of San Mateo. Additional work will include installing storm drainage systems and sign foundations; storm drainage system maintenance; paving; electrical service work; and other related construction activities.
Most of the work will occur on the freeway lanes, shoulders, and ramps, while the sound wall and sewer work will occur on city streets adjacent to U.S. 101. More information is provided below.
“Construction crews pouring concrete on a new storm drainage system”
Sound Wall/Sewer Work: Construction crews continue to implement one-way traffic control periodically on Bayshore Boulevard (from Newbridge Avenue to just past Dakota Avenue, from 2nd Avenue to Dore Avenue, and from Dore Avenue to East Poplar Avenue) in the City of San Mateo to facilitate work on the sound walls and sewer systems. One-way traffic control may occur from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. During this time, northbound traffic will remain on Bayshore Boulevard while southbound traffic will be detoured. Watch for detour signs. After 5:00 PM, the road will be restored to two-way traffic.
Nighttime Freeway Lane Closures: Nightly freeway lane closures may occur on northbound and southbound U.S. 101 from 7:00 PM to 6:30 AM, Sunday night to Friday morning. Due to low traffic volumes, project-related traffic delays are anticipated to be minimal. Caltrans will continue to monitor traffic delays and make adjustments, as necessary.
Freeway Ramp Closures: Temporary ramp closures may occur during the night. Ramp closures could occur in both the northbound and southbound directions of the freeway. However, consecutive interchanges for northbound and southbound ramps will not be closed at the same time.
Nighttime ramp closures: Short-term nighttime ramp closures are possible the week of August 9th (between Sunday night and Friday morning) in/near the cities of Redwood City, San Carlos, Belmont, San Mateo, Foster City, Burlingame, Millbrae, San Bruno, and South San Francisco at the following locations (listed from south to north). Check changeable messages near the ramp for exact closure times and locations.
- Eastbound/Westbound Whipple Avenue On-Ramp
- Southbound Brittan Avenue On/Off-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Holly Street, Southbound U.S. 101 On/Off Ramp
- Northbound Holly Street Off-Ramp (Closures are possible starting at 6:00 PM at this location)
- Southbound Harbor Boulevard On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Ralston Avenue On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Fashion Island Boulevard On-Ramp
- Southbound U.S. 101, Eastbound/Westbound Route 92/Fashion Island Boulevard Connector Ramp
- Southbound U.S. 101, Westbound Route 92 Connector Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound 3rd/4th Avenue On/Off-Ramp
- Northbound Dore Avenue Off-Ramp (Closures are possible starting at 4:00 PM at this location)
- Southbound Poplar Avenue On-Ramp
- Northbound Peninsula Avenue Off-Ramp (Closures are possible lasting until 7:00 AM at this location)
- Northbound Anza Boulevard Off-Ramp (Closures are possible lasting until 7:00 AM at this location)
- Eastbound/Westbound Broadway & Old Bayshore, Southbound U.S. 101 On-Ramp
- Eastbound/Westbound Millbrae Avenue, Northbound U.S. 101 Off-Ramp
- Northbound Airport Boulevard On-Ramp
- Southbound San Bruno Avenue Off-Ramp
- Northbound U.S. 101, Eastbound Route 380 Connector Ramp
- Southbound U.S. 101, Westbound Route 380 Connector-Ramp
Nighttime ramp closures:
- Will be displayed on changeable message signs within the construction zone
- Will begin after 7:00 PM and reopen by 6:00 AM, unless otherwise noted above
- Will have detour signs posted
City Streets: In addition to the sound wall and sewer work described above, electrical service work will occur on city streets in the cities of Redwood City, San Mateo, Millbrae, San Bruno, and South San Francisco to connect power to overhead signs and freeway lighting. Nearby residents and travelers can expect to see crews from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. This work will produce intermittent low vibrations and construction vehicle noise. This work will also require temporary lane closures (one-way traffic) and will include cones and flaggers. City street work may occur near the following intersections and locations:
- Southbound Millbrae Avenue On-Ramp in the City of Millbrae
- San Bruno Avenue and 7th Avenue in the City of San Bruno
- South Airport Boulevard and Wondercolor Lane in the City of South San Francisco
- Folkstone Avenue and South Amphlett Boulevard in the City of San MateoVeterans Boulevard and Whipple Avenue in the City of Redwood City
Upcoming Construction: Future construction activities for the next few weeks will include: continued work on the removed sound walls in the City of San Mateo; installing sign foundations, permanent concrete barriers and storm drainage systems; storm drainage system maintenance; paving; electrical service work; and other related construction activities.
All construction activities are subject to change without notice.
For questions during construction, contact the Caltrans Public Information Officer:
Alejandro Lopez at (510) 286-4948 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our website at 101express.com for more information about the project. Follow us on Twitter @CaltransD4. If you would like a copy of a prior construction update, please email email@example.com.