Cotton Module Movers Exemptions
Per California Vehicle Code (CVC), cotton module movers have certain exemptions on width, length, and weight. Following is a selective paraphrase of the CVC. It is not guaranteed and may be subject to change.
Per CVC Section 36012, a "cotton module mover" is a motortruck, semitrailer, or a truck tractor, in combination with a semitrailer, that is equipped with a self-loading bed and is designed and used exclusively to transport field manufactured cotton modules to a cotton gin.
Per CVC Section 35100.5, the total outside width of a cotton module mover operated on the highways pursuant to Section 35555 and the load thereon shall not exceed 130 inches in width. However, a county board of supervisors may prohibit this exemption on county highways.
Per CVC Section 35555, from September 15 through March 15 of the following year, a cotton module mover may operate with a weight exception subject to all the following:
- May operate laterally across a state highway at grade of the state highway.
- May operate only in the Counties of Butte, Colusa, Fresno, Glenn, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Madera, Merced, Riverside, Sacramento, San Benito, San Bernardino, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Tulare, Yolo, and Yuba.
- May not exceed the maximum allowable gross axle weight for tandem axles in CVC 35551 by more than 6,000 pounds.
- The operator shall possess an appropriate drivers license, which shall be a commercial drivers license if the mover exceeds the maximum allowable gross axle weight for tandem axle vehicles.
- The mover is operated safely (see CVC Section 24002) with appropriate lighting (see CVC Division 12, Chapter 1, Section 24012; and Division 12, Chapter 2, Article 1, Article 3, Article 4, Article 5, Article 6, Article 9, and Article 11) and appropriate brakes(see CVC Division 12, Chapter 3, Article 2 and Article 3.
- The weight exception cotton module movers shall not operate on the National Network (NN). To determine which routes are NN, click Truck Route List (xlsx) and look for NN in the column "Type."
Legal Truck Access
- Legal Truck Access Homepage
- 45' Buses & Motorhomes
- Getting to Eureka
- Truck Lane Use