Encroachment Permits

Caltrans is excited to welcome you to the new Caltrans Encroachment Permit System (CEPS). 

CEPS provides you the opportunity to take advantage of the following features to make filing your Encroachment Permit Application Packages (EPAP) easier and more efficient:

  • Real-time tracking of your EPAP
  • Online access to view and edit your EPAP documents in one place
  • Online payments

The payment portal is now available and provides an option to pay fees online using CEPS.

EPAPs can still be submitted via email or fax to your local District Encroachment Permits Office. Our staff will process your submittal and respond to your requests as soon as possible.

The following videos and documents have been developed to assist you on how to use CEPS. We recommend that you view them before signing into the CEPS portal.

Sign in to the CEPS Portal and submit your EPAP. For more information, view CEPS Frequently Asked Questions.

Checks (payable to "Caltrans" or "California Department of Transportation") should be mailed in along with your EPAP. Please include on the memo line:

  • Permit tracking number
  • County, route and post mile location of your proposed encroachment

Your local District Encroachment Permits Office can provide you the information needed to make credit card payments over the phone if needed.

We look forward to continuing to work with you to improve the Encroachment Permit process. If you have any questions or suggestions, email them to AskCEPS.

Encroachment Permits Frequently Asked Questions

What is an Encroachment? 
 An "encroachment" is defined in Section 660 of the California Streets and Highways Code as "any tower, pole, pole line, pipe, pipeline, fence, billboard, stand or building, or any structure, object of any kind or character not particularly mentioned in the section, or special event, which is in, under, or over any portion of the State highway rights of way. "Special event" means any street festival, sidewalk sale, community-sponsored activity, or community-approved activity."
When is an Encroachment Permit required?
 An encroachment permit must be obtained for all proposed activities related to the placement of encroachments within, under, or over the State highway rights of way. Some examples of work requiring an encroachment permit are utilities, excavations, encroachment renewals, advertisements (when allowed by statute), vegetation planting or trimming, surveys, mailboxes, driveways, installation or removal of tire chains for compensation, special events, and commercial filming activities.
How/where do I apply for an Encroachment Permit and what are the fees to process my application?

Applicants must complete a current "Standard Encroachment Permit Application" (form TR-0100), attach supporting documentation such as: plans, location map, environmental documentation, letter of authorization, surety bonds, liability insurance, any applicable fees, etc. and submit them to the appropriate District Encroachment Permits Office having jurisdictional authority over the proposed encroachment site.

Fees vary depending on the type of encroachment and the amount of staff hours needed to review and inspect it. Typically, a deposit is required when the application package is submitted. Please contact the appropriate District Encroachment Permits Office for details.

How long will it take to process my Encroachment Permit application?

Section 671.5 (a) of the California Streets and Highways Code requires that the Department either approves or denies an Encroachment Permit Application submittal within 60 calendar days, upon determination that the submittal is complete. This section grants the Department the authority in what constitutes a completed Encroachment Permit Application submittal. It also stipulates that an Encroachment Permit Application submittal is complete when all statutory requirements including but not limited to Storm Water, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) have been complied with. The term statutory requirement includes both federal and California statutes.

The actual time needed to review and approve your application will depend on the completeness of your submittal, scope, and complexity of the proposed work.

Effective January 1, 2022, Assembly Bill 955 (Quirk) amends Streets & Highways Code Section 671.5 by establishing additional procedures to the current process of reviewing encroachment permit applications for all broadband facilities by the California Department of Transportation. All broadband facility permit applications must comply with the additional procedures established by Assembly Bill 955.


For CEPS technical questions or comments, email AskCEPS.

For general Encroachment Permit application questions, email your local District Encroachment Permits Offices.

For copies of as-built plans, email the District Public Records Act Coordinator.