Documents to Carry
To operate commercial vehicles in California, the following documents must be carried and shown to enforcement personnel when requested:
- Drivers license documents and any related certificates.
- Registration documents (cab cards, permits, etc.).
- Proof of insurance.
- Special permits for oversize and overweight loads, if required.
- Hazardous materials shipping papers, if required.
- Fuel tax permits.
- Hours of service records (log book).
- Bills/Invoices etc. showing content and origin of agricultural products, if required.
- Proof of sales tax payment if applicable.
Evidence of Financial Responsibility -- U.S. Domiciled Carriers: Proof of the required financial responsibility, such as the MCS 90 or the MCS 82, shall be maintained at the motor carrier's principal place of business.
The display of any one of the following identifiers on a commercial motor vehicle shall be considered acceptable evidence of financial responsibility:
- A valid TCP or PSC number issued by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) for passenger carriers.
- A CA number issued by the CHP and displayed by the holder of a Valid Motor Carrier Permit (MCP) whose name or logo is displayed on the vehicle or combination of vehicles.
- A valid MC or MX number issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA).
Evidence of Financial Responsibility -- Foreign domiciled carriers (Mexican & Canadian): Proof of the required financial responsibility, such as the MCS 90 or the MCS 82, shall be maintained in each vehicle operated in the United States.
For more information on evidence of financial responsibility, see the Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49, Section 387.7.
Legal Truck Access
- Legal Truck Access Homepage
- 45' Buses & Motorhomes
- Getting to Eureka
- Truck Lane Use
- Weigh Stations
- Chain Requirements
- Encroachment Permits
- Exit Number Signs
- Toll Operations
- Truck-Only Lanes
- Truck Stops (CA, AZ, NV, OR)
- Transportation Permits
- Permit Services List (PDF)
- Permits Contact List
- Road Conditions