Delivery Requirements and Status of Approved Projects
In order to increase visibility and improve project delivery, the Office of Federal Programs has developed delivery requirements for the local Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) projects. All agencies are expected to deliver their HSIP projects within the time frames provided in the delivery requirements.
HSIP Project Time Extension and Scope/Cost Change
If an HSIP project cannot meet the delivery requirements due to unexpected circumstances, the Local Public Agency (LPA) may request a time extension prior to the due date of the project delivery requirement of the phase. Please complete the below form and submit it to the DLAE if a time extension is needed. The same form is also used when an HSIP project needs a scope/cost change.
- Request Form for HSIP Project Time Extension, Scope/Cost Change (Right click link and select “Save link as …” to download)
For a scope/cost change, if the form requires that the project’s Benefit Cost Ratio (BCR) be re-calculated, the HSIP Analyzer that performs the BCR calculation may be downloaded below:
- HSIP Analyzer 2020 (Right click link and select “Save link as …” to download)
Federally funded HSIP projects, FTIP Programming and EPSP:
After being selected for funding, federally funded HSIP projects must be programmed in the Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP) of the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs). If an HSIP project is ready to move forward to the next phase however the project is not programmed in the current Federal Fiscal Year (FFY), the local agency can and should use the Expedited Project Selection Procedures (EPSP) to shift the programmed project funding in order to meet the delivery schedule. Caltrans District and Headquarters staff will work with local agencies to ensure that the use of the EPSP and the authorization requests are approved as quickly as possible.
- Using EPSP to Request Authorizations for Local HSIP Projects Listed in the FTIP but Not Programmed in the Current FFY(PDF)
State funded HSIP projects:
Senate Bill (SB) 137 (Chapter 639 of the 2019 Statues), effective October 8, 2019, added Section 182.85 to the Streets and Highways Code that authorizes Caltrans to allow up to $100 million of federal local assistance funds be exchanged for non-federal State Highway Account (SHA) funds. This made it possible to use state funds in delivering some HSIP projects. Please click here for information related to the state funded HSIP projects.
Project and Program Summaries
The table below has links to summary reports for the HSIP program. Local agencies with on-going HSIP projects should check and monitor the delivery status of each of their projects by opening the “List of All Projects ” report. This report shows the expected PE and CON authorization dates for each project and its current delivery status.
|Reports Updated As Of||
Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
Includes High Risk Rural Road Projects
|October 12, 2022||
Detailed Project Delivery Status
List of Delayed Projects(Excel)
Summary by District (PDF)
Summary by HSIP Cycles (PDF)
Highway Safety Improvement Program
- Approved Project Lists
- Call-for-Projects, Guidelines and Safety Manual
- Delivery Requirements and Status of Approved Projects
- Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP)
- Local HSIP Advisory Committee
- Local Roadway Safety Plan (LRSP) and Systemic Safety Analysis Report Program (SSARP)
- Model Inventory of Roadway Elements (MIRE) and MIRE Fundamental Data Elements (FDE)
- Process for State Funded HSIP Projects
- Roadway Safety Training and Materials