Local Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP)
The Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act (IIJA), aka Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), was signed into law by President Biden on November 15, 2021. Under IIJA, the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP), codified as Section 148 of Title 23, United States Code (23 U.S.C §148), is a core federal-aid program to States for the purpose of achieving a significant reduction in fatalities and serious injuries on all public roads. The Division of Local Assistance (DLA) manages California's local agency share of HSIP funds. California's Local HSIP focuses on infrastructure projects with nationally recognized crash reduction factors (CRFs). Local HSIP projects must be identified on the basis of crash experience, crash potential, crash rate, or other data-supported means.
For more details and information regarding California’s Local HSIP, click the texts below or the links to the right.
- Local HSIP Guidelines(PDF)
- Local Roadway Safety Manual for California Local Road Owners(PDF)
- Local Roadway Safety Plans (LRSP) and Systemic Safety Analysis Report Program (SSARP)
In HSIP Cycle 11 Call-for-projects, 434 applications have been received. The projects approved for HSIP Cycle 11 funding was announced on March 9, 2023. Click here for more details.
Questions and Contacts
If you have questions, please contact your District Local Assistance Engineer (DLAE).Continue to check this site periodically for any program updates.
Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.
Highway Safety Improvement Program
- Approved Project Lists
- Call-for-Projects, Guidelines and Safety Manual
- Delivery Requirements, Project Status and Project Change Requests
- Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP)
- Local HSIP Advisory Committee
- Local Roadway Safety Plan (LRSP) and Systemic Safety Analysis Report Program (SSARP)
- Model Inventory of Roadway Elements (MIRE) and MIRE Fundamental Data Elements (FDE)
- Process for State Funded HSIP Projects
- Roadway Safety Training and Materials