Emergency Relief Program

DISASTER FIRST STEPS (for funding assistance to local agencies)

  1. Immediately Contact your local CalOES representative to report damages (CalOES Rep)
  2. Declare a Local Disaster within 10-days of when the disaster event began
  3. Report federal on-system roadway disaster damage to Caltrans (IDE Form)

The Program

The Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA) Emergency Relief (ER) Program was authorized by Congress to repair or reconstruct federal-aid routes that have suffered serious damage as a direct result of a declared event (see Title 23, United States Code, Section 125). The program is available to State and Local Agency transportation departments with roads suffering serious damage from natural disasters or catastrophic failures from external causes. ER funding is intended to supplement resources from States, localities and other Federal agencies to help in the repair of facilities damaged by eligible events.

Important Note

Local agencies reporting disaster damage information must report their damages to both CalOES and Caltrans, separately. CalOES and Caltrans separately administer different disaster relief funding programs, with very different requirements. For this reason, local agencies will need to make sure they are sharing all their disaster damage information separately, with both CalOES and Caltrans. Local agencies should not assume the information shared with Caltrans will be shared with CalOES. If the local agency is unsure of who their CalOES contact is they should call their CalOES region to find out. CalOES regional contact information can be obtained on the web at: Regional Operations.

For project specific and call for projects questions, please contact your:

For general program questions you may contact:

Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.