Standard Environmental Reference (SER)
In Prep This section will provide links to previously posted guidance, forms, templates and other materials that have been superseded and/or are no longer in circulation.
Sign up for the Standard Environmental Reference (SER) Subscription List to receive an automatic notice when updates have been made to the SER.
What is the SER? The Standard Environmental Reference (SER) is an on-line resource to help state and local agency staff plan, prepare, submit, and evaluate environmental documents for transportation projects. The SER contains information appropriate to all transportation projects developed under the auspices of Caltrans, and to all local agency highway or local streets and roads projects with funding or approvals by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
The Standard Environmental Reference (SER) includes:
- Vol 1: Guidance for Compliance - NEPA and CEQA documentation; a general technical resource for planners; and a compendium of applicable federal and state laws and regulations
- Vol 2: Cultural Resources - For archaeologists, historians, and other cultural resources specialists
- Vol 3: Biological Resources - For biologists and other natural resources specialists
- Vol 4: Community Impacts Assessment - Environmental Justice and other community issues
- Vol 5: Coastal Requirements - Details the coastal permitting processes
- Policy Memos that relate to the environmental process.
- Other Guidance which includes guidance on cumulative impact analysis, growth-related impact analysis, alternatives analysis, visual impact analysis, and a variety of guidance documents relating to biological and cultural resources.
- MOUs, MOAs, and Agreements
- Forms and Templates used during the environmental process.