Federal Programming Branch
The Federal Programming Branch is responsible for preparing and managing the Federal Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (FSTIP). The FSTIP is a four year statewide intermodal program of transportation projects that is consistent with the statewide transportation plan and planning processes, the metropolitan plans and the Federal Transportation Improvements Programs (FTIPs). The FSTIP is prepared by Caltrans in cooperation with the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) and the Regional Transportation Planning Agencies (RTPAs).
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Should you need additional assistance, please contact our Caltrans accessibility helpdesk at (916) 654-2852 or Request ADA Compliant Documents online.
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) prepares the FSTIP every two years in cooperation with the Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs) and the Regional Transportation Planning Agencies in California. The FSTIP is a federally mandated document that includes phases of capital and non-capital transportation projects prioritized to receive federal funding under Titles 23 and 49 of the United States Code during federal fiscal years 2021 through 2024. It also includes regionally significant projects regardless of the funding source.
Each of the state’s eighteen MPOs prepares a Federal Transportation Improvement Program (FTIP), which includes state, local, and transit projects within its boundary. These FTIPs are included in the FSTIP by reference.
- 2021 Federal Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (FSTIP) (PDF)
FTIP/FSTIP Amendment Approvals
- Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG)
- Butte County Association of Governments (BCAG)
- Fresno Council of Governments (FCOG)
- Kern Council of Governments (KCOG)
- Kings County Association of Governments (KCAG)
- Madera County Transportation Commission (MCTC)
- Merced County Association of Governments (MCAG)
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC)
- Rural non-MPO
- Sacramento Area Council of Governments (SACOG)
- San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG)
- San Joaquin Council of Governments (SJCOG)
- San Luis Obispo Council of Governments (SLOCOG)
- Santa Barbara County Area of Governments (SBCAG)
- Shasta Regional Transportation Agency (SRTA)
- Southern California Association of Governments (SCAG)
- Stanislaus Council of Governments (STANCOG)
- Tulare County Association of Governments (TCAG)
- Tahoe Metropolitan Planning Organization (TMPO)