Postings on this page will be highlighted for 90 days. Postings older than 90 days can be accessed on the Posting History page.
Sign up for the Standard Environmental Reference (SER) Subscription List to receive an automatic notice when updates have been made to the SER.
- 05-16-22 The Cultural Studies Office has updated the Historical Resources Compliance Report (HRCR) templates. All cultural templates are available on the Cultural Templates page.
- 04-29-22 The Office of Hazardous Waste, Air, Noise and Paleontology (HWANP) has created a new “Energy Analysis Outline-Memo Format” for use on projects that will not create potentially substantial energy impacts. The new outline can be found on the SER Forms and Templates page.
- 04-27-22 The Division of Environmental Analysis has prepared a “Roadway Lighting Environmental Assessment Fact Sheet” to provide a basic summary of environmental resources that may require assessment for the potential of roadway lighting to produce adverse effects. The fact sheet can be found on the SER Other Guidance page.
- 04-27-22 FHWA and Caltrans have renewed the 326 MOU (CE Assignment MOU) effective April 18, 2022 for a term of 5 years. With this renewal, the Programmatic Agreement for Non-Highway Projects approved on May 24, 2021 has been superseded as the language in the 326 MOU has been modified to cover those type of projects. This renewal will maintain Caltrans ability to streamline the federal environmental review and approval process and allow districts to continue their amazing work delivering projects statewide. If you have any questions, please contact the NEPA Assignment Office.
The updated MOU can be found on the SER MOUs, MOAs, and Agreements page. In addition, Chapters 30 & 38 of the SER Volume 1 have been updated to reflect the new MOU. Also minor edits have been made to the CE/CE Form and Categorical Exclusion Checklist which are located on the SER Forms and Templates page.
- 03-28-22 The Environmental Management Office has posted a new Fact Sheet entitled “Considering Equity in Community Impact Analysis for Projects.” This guidance was developed by the Community Impacts Analysis Working Group in cooperation with the Environmental Management Office and can be found on the SER Other Guidance page.
- 02-23-22 Chapters 11 and 38 of the SER Volume 1 have been updated to reflect the new requirement for FHWA Conformity Determinations. Conformity determination requests must be submitted to the Caltrans Division of Transportation Planning (DOTP) - Air Quality office and the Caltrans Division of Environmental Analysis (DEA) - Air Quality office for review and approval prior to sending to FHWA. Requests must be accompanied with the new FHWA Submittal Package Checklist located on the SER Forms and Templates page. Headquarters staff will coordinate with FHWA on behalf of the district. Technical questions should be directed to DOTP-AQ. Current contact information can be found on the Air Quality Conformity Findings Checklist (also updated), located on the SER Forms and Templates page.
- 02-18-22 The Environmental Management Office has updated the Climate Change Annotated Outlines for Capacity Increasing and Non-Capacity Increasing projects. They can be found on the SER Forms and Templates page. These AOs include updated boilerplate text and analysis methodologies.
- 02-15-22 The Environmental Management Office has updated Chapters 35-37 of the SER Volume 1 to reflect the recent changes to CEQA enacted by AB-819 (electronic filing and posting requirements for notices and documents).