Erosion Control Toolbox: Rolled Erosion Control Product (Jute Mesh)
Jute mesh is a lightweight, biodegradable, open weave textile (OWT).
When to Use This Treatment
- Cut and fill slopes between 4:1 and 2:1 (H:V). Use Rolled Erosion Control Product (Netting) on steeper slopes
- To use in a stream or channel below the 100-year base flood elevation (as determined by the Engineer) contact the Civil (Hydraulics) Engineer in responsible charge of the stream/channel
- Provides immediate protection from surface erosion
- Helps retain soil moisture, which improves seed germination and vegetation establishment
- Rocks and debris may lift blankets above the soil surface, allowing erosion to occur between the blanket and the soil surface
- Surface treatment only - unlikely to improve compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils as necessary to ensure vigorous long term vegetative cover
Technical Product Information
The table below provides a summary of technical information for jute mesh:
|Jute Mesh||12 Months||2:1||3B|
The photo above shows erosion control jute mesh being installed adjacent to a roadside. The open area of this product is high, so seed may be applied before or after the jute mesh is placed.
- Refer to Standard Specifications - Section 21 Erosion Control
Consider Using With
To effectively treat sites with compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils, consider combining this treatment with:
- Use BEES code 210260 Rolled Erosion Control Product (Jute Mesh), paid by SQFT
- For detailed information on ECTC product categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) specifications web page.
Updated: February 8, 2019