Safety / Traffic
The Division of Construction is committed to providing safe and efficient work zones, both for the traveling public and employees working on the state highway system. Caltrans' Mission, Vision, and Goals, places safety high among its commitments. The goal is to achieve the best safety record in the nation. To accomplish this goal, the Division of Construction is working with other Divisions within the Department as well as with industry and federal and local agencies to enhance and strengthen safety policies and best practice guidelines. Specific construction safety goals include: Reducing employee lost time accidents, reducing accidents in construction zones, identifying and implementing proven work zone safety measures, and updating and distributing the Construction Code of Safe Practices. Construction safety training has recently been updated and standardized, and the improved classes are currently being implemented throughout the state. Please join the Construction Safety Coordinators and District Safety Officers in making our work zones a safe place to work.
- Caltrans Authorized Safety Training Courses
- CEM-0606, Construction Safety Checklist (PDF)
- Code of Safe Practices (PDF)
- COZEEP/MAZEEP Pocket Guide (PDF)
- COZEEP/MAZEEP Training (PDF)
- Flagging Instruction Handbook
- Flagging Handbook Standard Plan T13 (PDF)
- Temporary Pedestrian Access Routes Handbook (PDF)
Annual Safety Summit Reports
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of these documents which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact the Webmaster for Construction at Construction.Webmaster@dot.ca.gov or visit Request ADA Compliant Documents.
- 2021 Caltrans Industry Safety Summit (PDF)
- 2020 Caltrans Industry Safety Summit (PDF)
- 2018 Work Zone Safety Summit Notes (PDF)