I-680 Paving Project
Caltrans Repaving Northbound Interstate 680 Between Sunol and San Ramon
Caltrans is embarking upon a major improvement project that will repave northbound Interstate 680 and replace entire sections of the roadway to enhance safety and provide a smoother ride to motorists.
The project will take place on I-680 between Koopman Road in Sunol and Acosta Boulevard in San Ramon.
Caltrans will need to close freeway lanes and entire sections of the freeway to do the work. The work is scheduled to begin in December, starting in the Sunol area and working northward, and will last about a year and a half.
Additionally, in 2023, work will necessitate closing I-680 for 72 hours on the following holidays:
- Martin Luther King holiday (mid-January 2023)
- President’s Day (mid-February 2023)
- Memorial Day (late May 2023)
- Labor Day – (September 2023)
These closures will shorten the time needed to complete the project. Caltrans will provide additional holiday closure information as soon it becomes available. The public will be notified in advance via traffic advisories, a webpage and social media.
The first part of the project is located in the City of Sunol.
To perform this work, Caltrans has scheduled to close northbound Interstate 680 overnight from the I-680/State Route 84 junction to the Sunol Boulevard exit starting in December 2022 and anticipated to complete in April 2023.
All lanes of northbound I-680 will be closed from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Monday through Friday. Weekend closures are not anticipated, barring unforeseen circumstances. All work is weather-dependent.
Caltrans is aware that the closures will impact the motoring public and every step is being taken to minimize inconvenience.
California Highway Patrol officers and message signs will be on hand to guide motorists. Detours for the December closures are as follows:
- Regional detours will be activated to advise motorists coming from the South Bay to take I-880/SR-238/I-580 instead of I-680.
- For closures between the Koopman Road and Sunol Boulevard interchanges: Exit I-680 at Paloma Way, take Pleasanton Sunol Road and re-enter northbound I-680 at Sunol Boulevard.
- Take eastbound SR-84 to I-580.
Caltrans thanks the motoring public in advance for your patience as we work to improve I-680.