ALAMEDA AND CONTRA COSTA COUNTIES – Caltrans has scheduled to close northbound Interstate 680 in Sunol and Pleasanton between State Route 84 and Sunol Boulevard for three consecutive February weekends, including President’s Day weekend, for paving work.
The I-680 freeway will be closed in the northbound direction between Koopman Road and Sunol Boulevard from 10:00 p.m. Fridays to 5:00 a.m. the following Mondays on the following weekends:
- Friday night, February 3 through early Monday morning, February 6 (three nights, two days)
- Friday night, February 10 through early Monday morning, February 13 (three nights, two days)
The I-680 freeway will be closed in the northbound direction between between Sunol Boulevard and Bernal from 10:00 p.m. Friday to 5:00 a.m. the following Tuesday on the following weekend:
- PRESIDENT’S DAY WEEKEND: Friday night, February 17 through early Tuesday morning, February 21 (four nights, three days)
In the case of rain or unanticipated developments, the closures will be rescheduled and the public will be notified.
Caltrans had initially scheduled to close northbound I-680 on three holiday weekends starting with the Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday, but rain cancelled those plans. This new closure schedule REPLACES the former plan.
During the closures, crews will work around the clock to remove and replace entire sections of the freeway. The work includes repaving the freeway. The work is part of a project encompassing northbound I-680 between Sunol and San Ramon to improve the freeway to enhance safety and provide a smoother ride for motorists.
Portable changeable message signs will be placed prior to closure advising motorists of this closure and will remain in effect throughout the weekends while work is being performed.
Southbound I-680 will remain open and will not be affected by the closure.
Caltrans is aware that the closures will impact the motoring public and every step is being taken to minimize inconvenience. Caltrans thanks the motoring public in advance for your patience as we work to improve I-680.
California Highway Patrol officers and message signs will be on hand to guide motorists. Detours for the closures are as follows:\
- Regional detours will be activated to advise motorists coming from the South Bay to take I-880/SR-238/I-580 instead of I-680.
- For closures between the Koopman Road and Sunol Boulevard interchanges:
680 North Trafﬁc
Exit I-680 at Calaveras, take Paloma Way, take Pleasanton Sunol Road and re-enter northbound I-680 at Sunol Boulevard.
580 East Trafﬁc
Take eastbound SR-84 to I-580.
- For closures between the Sunol Boulevard and Bernal Avenue interchanges:
680 North Trafﬁc
Off-ramp to Sunol Boulevard
Northbound Sunol Boulevard
Westbound Bernal Avenue
Onramp to northbound I-680
For more information, please visit our website at www.680paving.com.