Small Business Program
We're Big on Small Business!
The District 1 Small Business Program exists to assist firms in doing business with the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans). It is Caltrans' goal to promote Small Business, Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE), and Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) participation in its procurement and contracting process. We are committed to achieving these goals by continuing to be advocates for Small Businesses and keeping the community informed about the contracting opportunities within the State of California.
District 1 Small Business Liaison
Aaron Morgan, Small Business Liaison
P.O. Box 3700
Eureka, CA 95502-3700
Telephone: (707) 441-5692 TTY 711
Fax: (707) 445-5367
- Contracting with California State Government - Eureka and Crescent City - April 4, 2019 (PDF)
- Disadvantaged Business Enterprise [DBE] Certification Workshop- Eureka - April 12, 2019 (PDF)
- District 1 Small Business Program Update, March 2019 (PDF)
- District 1 Small Business Program Update, January 2019 (PDF)
- District 1 Small Business Program Update, November 2018 (PDF)
- District 1 Construction Look Ahead 2018 (PDF)
- Caltrans Labor Compliance
- Division of Procurement and Contracts (DPAC)
- Bids: Open & Awarded Contracts
- Caltrans Contractor Interest Registry Emergency Contacts
- Office of Civil Rights
- Small Business Council Meeting Minutes and Reports
- Calmentor Program
Other State Agencies
- State of California Prevailing Wage
- Find SB/DVBE Firms, Communications and Outreach
- Cal eProcure - Sell to the State
- Office of Small Business & Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise Services (OSDS)
Benefits of Certification
Every year, the State of California contracts with businesses for construction needs, miscellaneous goods, and a variety of services. The State's Small Business Program helps small businesses compete more effectively for a portion of those dollars. Don't let this opportunity pass your business by.
As a Certified Small Business or Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise, you:
- Qualify for a 5% bid preference on applicable state contracts.
- Are listed in the State's Internet Certified Firm Listing, giving your business more visibility and expanded business networking opportunities. There are no fees for getting your business certified!
As a Certified Small Business you are also:
- Eligible for benefits under the Prompt Payment Act, including higher interest penalties for late, undisputed invoice payments. Caltrans is committed to making payment 45 calendar days following the date upon which a properly submitted, undisputed invoice is received.
Certification Requirements Small Business
To be eligible for Small Business (SB) Certification your business:
- Must be independently owned and operated.
- Cannot be dominant in its field of operations.
- Must have its principal office located in California.
- Must have its owners (or officers in the case of a corporation) domiciled in California.
- Together with affiliates, be either:
- A business with 100 or fewer employees, and average annual gross receipts of $12 million or less over the previous three tax years, or
- A manufacturer with 100 or fewer employees.
Certification Requirements Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise
To be eligible for Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) Certification, your business:
- Must be at least 51% owned by one or more disabled veterans.
- Daily business operations must be managed and controlled by one or more disabled veterans.
- The home office must be located in the United States.
- Owner must be a California resident.
A disabled veteran is a veteran of the United States military, naval, or air services; has a service-connected disability of at least 10% or more.