Inertial Profiler Certification Program (IPCP)
IPCP COVID-19 Response:
In support of the construction program, which is identified as an essential function, Caltrans and our partner UCPRC will abide by the schedule while implementing social distancing protocols. The next certifications scheduled for April 7th, 8th, and 9th may be delayed to May if the COVID-19 pandemic dictates this need. Extensions will be provided if the certification date is delayed so the construction program is not impacted.
For the traveling public, the quality of a road is gauged by how smooth it "rides". While this may be largely subjective, measurable roadway characteristics such as pavement roughness or road profile are strongly related to this perception of ride quality. Smooth road profiles have become a standard measure of pavement quality. Smooth roads are associated with lower road user costs, favorable user perceptions of quality and acceptability, longer pavement service lives, and lower life-cycle costs.
Caltrans has adopted the inertial profiler for determination of pavement smoothness for some of the smoothness specifications as identified in the Standard Specifications. This Inertial Profiler Certification Program is intended to capture the annual calibration verification in accordance with California Test 387.
A reciprocity agreement between Caltrans and Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) for the Inertial Profiler Certification is currently in effect. If you currently hold a valid NDOT certification, please contact the Caltrans Inertial Profiler Certification Program (IPCP).
NDOT Profiler Certification will not be accepted at construction sites.
- Operator Certification: $500/operator/test for first time and $250/operator/test for each recertification
- Equipment Certification: $1,000/profiler/test
You must pay the certification test fee by cashier check or money order only (no personal check will be accepted), made payable to "The Regents of the University of California", on day of testing. If you need to cancel a test, notify Caltrans by Thursday of the week prior to testing week, as all schedules are final by Friday of the week prior to testing. If a cancellation is not made by Thursday of the week prior to testing week, you will be required to make full payment of testing fees prior to rescheduling a subsequent test. If you cancel again after the Thursday prior to testing week of the rescheduled test, your payment will be forfeited.
To schedule an operator and/or equipment certification, e-mail Caltrans at Inertial.Profiler.Certification.Request@dot.ca.gov by the Friday prior to the requested date and provide the following information*:
- Your organization's name, telephone number, and street address;
- If you are applying for the operator certification, the number of individuals from your organization who are going to take this test, their full names as it appears in government ID, and the profiler models they will be using to take the practical test and whether they are a new certification or a re-certification;
- If you are applying for the equipment certification, the number of profilers and the make/model of each vehicle and the profiler models that you want tested; and
- The date when you want to take the certification tests based on the schedule below.
*The requested certification day will not be scheduled until a complete request including all of the above information has been provided. A confirmation of your request will be sent by email. An additional email with specific certification information/instructions will be sent the Friday prior to the week of certification.
- As there are limited slots in each certification session, the openings for written and field tests are filled on 'First Come First Served' basis.
- Caltrans will only accommodate a maximum of four operators per vehicle on any given day. This is to allow time for operators to retake the practical exam if needed.
- For FIRST TIME operators, the certification process will consist of operator written test, operator practical test, and equipment certification.
- For RETURNING OPERATORS, the certification process will consist of operator practical test and equipment certification.
- RETURNING OPERATORS must be recertified in the month of expiration of their certification. If there is no scheduled date for certification in the month of expiration, certification test should be taken in the next available month. If you fail to take the test in the month of expiration or the next available month as stated above, you will no longer be considered as a RETURNING OPERATOR. You will be considered as a FIRST TIME OPERATOR and will have to follow the process for FIRST TIME OPERATOR.
|February 23||02/26 - full||02/27 - full|
|April 5||04/07 - full||04/08 - full||04/09 - full|
|May 3||05/05 - full||05/06 - full||05/07 - full||05/08 - full|
|June 21||06/23 - full||06/24 - full||06/25 - full|
|August 2||08/04 - full||08/05 - full||08/06 - full|
**Schedule is subject to change due to inclement weather and as conditions warrant
The operator written exam will be conducted prior to the practical examination. The written exam will be held at the Translab facility, 5900 Folsom Blvd, Sacramento CA 95819. For operators outside of the Sacramento region, the written exam may be scheduled at a separate, mutually agreed upon location as the schedule allows.
Equipment and operator certifications are conducted at the Department's Inertial Profiler Certification Site located in Sacramento at the Regional Transit Metro parking lot between the Roseville Road and Watt/I-80 Light Rail Stations. The site location and written instructions are shown below.
Directions from Westbound I-80:
- Take Exit 93 for Light Rail Station / Longview Drive
- Veer Left on the off-ramp towards the Light Rail Station
- Take the first left turn under the freeway and into the light rail parking lot
- Turn Left at the stop sign
- Certification site is located approximately 1/4 mile down on the right
Directions from Eastbound I-80:
- Take Exit 92 for Winters Street
- Turn right onto Winters Street
- Continue onto the roadway at the end of the cul-de-sac
- Follow this road through the light rail parking lot
- Certification site is located approximately 1/2 mile from the beginning of the parking lot on the right