Small Business & Disabled Veteran Business
Caltrans is dedicated to increasing the participation of Small Business (SB), and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) firms in delivering the Middle-Mile Broadband Network.
For more information on additional small business opportunities, visit the Caltrans Office of Civil Rights.
The five regional Job Order Contracts (JOC) have a 25% Small Business and 3% Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise target. The Invitation for Bid (IFB) for the Master Agreement requires the contractor to develop a comprehensive plan that fully outlines the contractor’s commitment to meet the state’s goal. Additionally, the IFB requires the contractor to report quarterly on their Small Business (SB) and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise (DVBE) utilization progress relative to this plan.
Across the state each of the five regional JOCs account for varying portions of the miles. Over the course of the year the Master Agreement is in effect, each region will issue multiple work orders, each of which presents an opportunity for small and disabled veteran businesses.
The Construction Manager/General Contractor (CMGC) contracts will also include SB and DVBE goals. The advertisement of CMGC Request for Qualification (RFQ) is subject to the Caltrans’ Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise and Small Business policies. Proposers shall be fully informed of the requirements of the regulations and the related policies. Construction Manager involved in the performance of Work resulting from this RFQ shall take all necessary and reasonable steps to ensure that DVBEs and Small Businesses have the maximum opportunity to compete for and perform on any Construction Contract resulting from the Preconstruction Services Contract. Prior to issuing individual construction contract, Caltrans will collaborate and partner with the CMGC contractor for each work package/construction contract on subcontracting opportunities, including for small businesses and disabled veteran businesses.
The Caltrans Office of Civil Rights can further assist Small Businesses and Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises with how to contract with Caltrans, including:
- Contact information for the District Small Business Liaisons
- Matchmaking App - https://www.mybusinessmatches.com/our-solution/attend-event/
- 1:1s – individual discussions with local District staff and Primes/sub-contractors
- Meet the Prime Events
- Boot Camps on how to do business with Caltrans
- Learn more about Education and Certification:
- Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (PTAC) / Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) – Helping small businesses prepare for, pursue and perform on government contracts. PTAC’s & SBDC’s understand the opportunities and requirements of becoming a federal, state, or local government contractor.
- Dual Certification – Certified businesses are afforded better economic opportunities to compete on government contracts when certified as both a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise and a Small Business.
Middle-Mile Broadband Initiative Menu
- Job Order Contracting
- Construction Manager/General Contractor
- Small Business & Disabled Veteran Business Enterprises
Wired Broadband Facilities on the State Highway SystemCaltrans MMBI Home