Erosion Control Toolbox: Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket)
Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket) is a composite blanket typically consisting of a core composed of coconut, coconut and straw, or excelsior, sandwiched between two non-synthetic nets for shear strength.
When to Use This Treatment
Specify the blanket type per your project requirements based upon slope gradient, functional longevity and cost. Consult your geotechnical engineer for specific maximum slope gradients.
|Blanket (Type A)
Double Net with Straw and Coir fiber (Coconut) core
|12 Months||2:1 - 1:1|
|Blanket (Type B)
Double Net with 100% Woven Coir (Coconut) fiber core
|Blanket (Type C)
Double Net with Wood Excelsior core
Use of a Rolled Erosion Control Product (RECP) blanket in a stream or channel below the 100-year base flood elevation must be determined by the responsible charge Engineer. Planting or incorporation of seed proposed by the Landscape Architect in conjunction with this product will be evaluated by the responsible charge Engineer.
- Provides immediate protection from surface erosion
- Helps retain soil moisture improving seed germination and vegetation establishment
- Longevity of 12 months (not considering vegetation)
- Rocks and debris may lift blankets above the soil surface, allowing erosion to occur between the blanket and the soil surface
- Surface treatment only - unlikely to improve compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils as necessary to ensure vigorous long term vegetative cover
Technical Design Tips
- Apply seed prior to placing the blanket on the slope, otherwise germination of seed may be inhibited.
- Refer to Standard Specifications - Section 21 Erosion Control
Consider Using With
Regardless of the blanket type specified, this material requires the permanent vegetative protection provided by:
To effectively treat sites with compacted, nutrient depleted, or poorly draining soils, consider combining this treatment with:
Plans and Details
- See Standard Plans for Landscape and Erosion Control
- Click here to see examples of how to specify RECP (Blanket) on the project plans
- Use BEES code 210280 Rolled Erosion Control Product (Blanket)
- For detailed information on ECTC product categories, please see "Table 1" on the ECTC (Erosion Control Technology Council) Toolbox web page
Updated: December 14, 2018