Richardson Grove Improvement Project
Caltrans proposes to make minor adjustments to the roadway alignment of Route 101 through Richardson Grove State Park. This project will allow access by industry standard-sized trucks conforming to the Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA), which are currently prohibited north of Leggett.
Purpose and Need
Route 101 is the primary north-south route serving the north coast of California and is critical to the commerce of the region. Route 101 through Richardson Grove is a narrow two-lane road with large old growth redwood trees adjacent to the traveled way.
Industry standard-sized trucks conforming to the Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) are currently prohibited from traveling Route 101 north of Leggett due to the narrow alignment at Richardson Grove. This location is one of the few remaining areas of the state in which these trucks are not permitted. As STAA trucks have become the national standard, communities with routes unable to provide STAA access are at an economic disadvantage. Truck cargo must be unloaded and transferred to shorter trucks, making goods movement more expensive.
The truck restrictions at Richardson Grove are due to the tightness of the curves, making it difficult for longer trucks to stay within the traveled way. The 1.1 mile stretch of Richardson Grove is the only remaining location on Route 101 restricting access of STAA trucks traveling into Humboldt County from the south.
This project will adjust the roadway alignment to accommodate STAA truck travel through Richardson Grove. Improvement of goods movement will help local businesses stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Date to be determined
The 2017 Addendum to the Final Environmental Impact Report is being circulated for public review and comment. The 2010 Final EIR is being provided for background and context only (see documents section below). Written comments on the Addendum will be accepted through November 19, 2021. Comments may be mailed to Caltrans, Attn: Environmental Management, P.O. Box 3700, Eureka, CA 95502 or emailed to RichardsonGroveImprovement@dot.ca.gov.
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents. Contact Caltrans District 1 (707) 445-6600 for information about this project.
- Richardson Grove Project Fact Sheet (PDF 303K)
- Informational Brochure (PDF 700K)
- Finding of No Significant Impact - May 2017 (PDF 2.3M)
- Addendum to the Final Environmental Impact Report - May 2017 (PDF 746K)
- Project Report - May 2017 (PDF 19.5M)
- Notice of Determination - May 2017 (PDF 384K)
- Notice of Availability - May 2017 (PDF 86K)
- Final Arborist Report - August 2015 (PDF 14M)
- Impacts on Truck Volumes - May 2016 (PDF 730K)
- Update to Visual Impact Assessment - January 2016 (PDF 514K)
- Addendum to Visual Impact Assessment - September 2013 (PDF 229K)
- Construction Noise Analysis - March 2015 (PDF 546K)
- Water Quality Assessment Report - December 2015 (PDF 1.3M)
- Essential Fish Habitat Assessment for Pacific Salmon - October 2016 (PDF 7.2M)
- National Marine Fisheries Service Letter of Concurrence - January 2017 (PDF 11.4M)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Letter of Concurrence - March 2017 (PDF 800K)
- Natural Environmental Study Addendum - June 2016 (PDF 1.8M)
- Wild and Scenic Rivers Act letter from the U.S Department of the Interior - June 2015 (PDF 177K)
Responses to Comments on the Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment, January 2014
- Richardson Grove Operational Improvement Project - Responses to Comments on the Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment - January 2014 (PDF 333K)
Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment and Final Tree Report, September 2013
- Richardson Grove Operational Improvement Project - Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment - September 2013 (PDF 15.7M)
- Final Report - An Evaluation of Potential Effects on Old-Growth Redwoods from Implementation of the Richardson Grove Operational Improvement Project - September 2013 (PDF 16.2M)
Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment and Programmatic Section 4(f) Evaluation, May 2010
- Volume 1, Main Document (PDF 14.2M), Smaller version with lower quality images (PDF 5.7M)
- Appendix I, Natural Environment Study (PDF 5.3M)
- Appendix L, Layout Maps (PDF 25.4M), Smaller version with lower quality images (PDF 1.7M)
- Volume 2, Responses to Comments (PDF 82.1M), Smaller version with lower quality images (PDF 34.9M)
United States Fish and Wildlife Service's Biological Opinion, 2009
Feasibility Study for a 4-lane Freeway/Expressway, September 12, 2001
- Main document, Appendices A (Chronology) and B (PDF 2.4M)
- Appendices C (Comments) and D (Letter from Humboldt County Association of Governments in support of Caltrans' conclusions) (PDF 2.0M)
For more information, contact:
(707) 445-6583, TTY 711
Media Inquiries - PIO
(707) 498-4272, TTY 711