Richardson Grove Improvement Project
Caltrans proposes to make minor adjustments to the roadway alignment of Route 101 through Richardson Grove State Park. This project will allow access by industry standard-sized trucks conforming to the Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA), which are currently prohibited north of Leggett.
Purpose and Need
Route 101 is the primary north-south route serving the north coast of California and is critical to the commerce of the region. Route 101 through Richardson Grove is a narrow two-lane road with large old growth redwood trees adjacent to the traveled way.
Industry standard-sized trucks conforming to the Surface Transportation Assistance Act (STAA) are currently prohibited from traveling Route 101 north of Leggett due to the narrow alignment at Richardson Grove. This location is one of the few remaining areas of the state in which these trucks are not permitted. As STAA trucks have become the national standard, communities with routes unable to provide STAA access are at an economic disadvantage. Truck cargo must be unloaded and transferred to shorter trucks, making goods movement more expensive.
The truck restrictions at Richardson Grove are due to the tightness of the curves, making it difficult for longer trucks to stay within the traveled way. The 1.1 mile stretch of Richardson Grove is the only remaining location on Route 101 restricting access of STAA trucks traveling into Humboldt County from the south.
This project will adjust the roadway alignment to accommodate STAA truck travel through Richardson Grove. Improvement of goods movement will help local businesses stay competitive in the marketplace.
- Date to be determined
- Informational Brochure - April 2017 (PDF)
- Finding of No Significant Impact - May 2017 (PDF)
- Addendum to the Final Environmental Impact Report - May 2017 (PDF)
- Project Report - May 2017 (PDF)
- Notice of Determination - May 2017 (PDF)
- Notice of Availability - May 2017 (PDF)
- Final Arborist Report - August 2015 (PDF)
- Impacts on Truck Volumes - May 2016 (PDF)
- Update to Visual Impact Assessment - January 2016 (PDF)
- Addendum to Visual Impact Assessment - September 2013 (PDF)
- Construction Noise Analysis - March 2015 (PDF)
- Water Quality Assessment Report - December 2015 (PDF)
- Biological Assessment/Essential Fish Habitat Assessment for Pacific Salmon - October 2016 (PDF)
- National Marine Fisheries Service Letter of Concurrence - January 2017 (PDF)
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Letter of Concurrence - March 2017 (PDF)
- Natural Environmental Study Addendum - June 2016 (PDF)
- Wild and Scenic Rivers Act letter from the U.S Department of the Interior - June 2015 (PDF)
Responses to Comments on the Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment, January 2014
- Richardson Grove Operational Improvement Project - Responses to Comments on the Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment - January, 2014 (PDF)
Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment and Final Tree Report, September 2013
- Richardson Grove Operational Improvement Project - Supplement to the Final Environmental Assessment - September 2013 (PDF)
- Final Report - An Evaluation of Potential Effects on Old-Growth Redwoods from Implementation of the Richardson Grove Operational Improvement Project - September 2013 (PDF)
Final Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Assessment and Programmatic Section 4(f) Evaluation, May 2010
- Volume 1, Main Document (PDF)
- Appendix I, Natural Environment Study (PDF)
- Appendix L, Layout Maps (PDF 26.0M)
- Volume 2, Responses to Comments (PDF 81M)
For more information, contact:
(707) 441-4556, TTY 711
Media Inquiries - PIO
(707) 445-6312, TTY 711