Codes, Laws, and Regulations
This page is provided to help all bicyclists understand how to ride safely and legally on public roads in California. Local ordinances regarding parking and operation of bicycles on bikeways are not addressed here. To obtain this information please contact your county and city planning agencies.
- California Vehicle Code: Sections relating to bicycles are 21200 through 21212, et.al. and sections 39001 through 30012, et.al.. This link will direct you to the table of contents for the Vehicle Code, once there you can click on the section of your interest.
- California Streets and Highways Code: Sections relating to bicycles are 890 through 894.2. This link will direct you to the table of contents for the Streets and Highways Code, once there you can click on the section of your interest.
- California Department of Motor Vehicles: California Driver Handbook has sections relating to bicycles.
- Plain language summary of California Vehicle Code sections related to the operation of bicycles (Word)
- Statute Language and Cites from Streets and Highways Codes, California Vehicle Code Sections Related to Bicycles(Word)
For more information, please contact:
Bicycle Facilities Unit
Division of Local Assistance, MS-1
California Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 942874
Sacramento, CA 94274-0001
Phone: (916) 653-2750
Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.