Santa Cruz 1 Roadside Safety and Drainage System Improvements
Caltrans proposes to restore 30 drainage culverts, improve 47 roadside safety locations, rehabilitate 32 lighting elements, and install 12 transportation management system elements in Santa Cruz County along State Route 1 from 0.5 mile north of Larkin Valley Road to Laguna Road in Santa Cruz (post miles 8.2 to 26.0).
- Improve and restore culverts to their water conveyance purpose, which protects embankments and roadways from potential failure.
- Improve maintenance worker safety and roadside maintainability.
- Replace existing lighting elements that are beyond their useful life and install additional lighting elements to enhance lighting conditions at new locations.
- Replace and add transportation management system elements to improve the collection of traffic data and notify the traveling public of traffic conditions.
- Many deficiencies have been identified to existing culverts, including corroded or worn pipe inverts, perforated pipe sections, joint offsets, and significant ditch, channel, and slope erosion, which lead to lower water conveyance capacities and costly emergency repairs.
- The identified gore areas frequently expose maintenance workers to high-speed traffic and need to be addressed for roadside safety.
- The District Electrical unit recommended rehabilitating lighting elements that have reached the end of their service life within the project limits.
Without the proposed transportation management system improvements, traffic information collected from within the project limits might be unreliable.
Estimated Funding Breakdown
|Funding Source||Funding Amount|
Proposed Project Schedule
|Final environmental document to be completed||Winter 2022|
|Right-of-way acquisition & Design to be completed||Spring 2024|
|Construction to begin||Winter 2025|
|Construction to be completed||Winter 2026|
Jason Wilkinson, Environmental Branch Chief
Phone: (805) 540-9165
Heidi Borders, Project Manager
Phone: (916) 995-4933
Public Information Office, Caltrans District 5
Phone: (805) 549-3318
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
Title VI Information
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) assures that no person shall, on the basis of race, color, or national origin, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance, as required by Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, the Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1987, and Federal Executive Order 12898 (Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low-Income Populations).
Caltrans will make every effort to ensure nondiscrimination in all of its programs and activities, whether they are federally funded or not, and that services and benefits are fairly distributed to all people, regardless of race, color, or national origin. In addition, Caltrans will facilitate meaningful participation in the transportation planning process in a nondiscriminatory manner.
- Title VI Brochure (English, PDF)
- Title VI Brochure (Spanish, PDF)
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Caltrans Information)