Sustainable Transportation Planning Grants
Caltrans Announces the FY 2021-22 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Awards
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is pleased to announce the release of the Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program awards. A statewide total of 169 grant applications were received with requests totaling approximately $55 million for Sustainable Communities Competitive and Strategic Partnerships Grants. Of these applications, 59 were selected for grant awards, totaling approximately $21.5 million. The grant award and non-award lists for each grant are provided below. In addition, Metropolitan Planning Organizations will receive $12.5 million in Sustainable Communities Formula grants to further their Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy. Grant applicants are encouraged to contact Caltrans district staff to request feedback for unsuccessful applications and receive technical assistance with application development.
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 (and/or a division contact) or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
The Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program includes:
- Sustainable Communities Grants ($29.5 million) to encourage local and regional planning that furthers state goals, including, but not limited to, the goals and best practices cited in the Regional Transportation Plan Guidelines adopted by the California Transportation Commission.
- Strategic Partnerships Grants ($4.5 million) to identify and address statewide, interregional, or regional transportation deficiencies on the State highway system in partnership with Caltrans. A sub-category funds transit-focused planning projects that address multimodal transportation deficiencies.
It is envisioned that these planning grants will provide much needed funding to support regional sustainable communities’ strategies and ultimately achieve the State's greenhouse gas reductions targets of 40 and 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and 2050, respectively.
Upcoming FY 2022-23 Grants Schedule
The FY 2022-23 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant schedule is outlined below. Applicants are encouraged to visit the California Grants Portal and subscribe to receive a notification when the next call-for-applications is released.
- Late Summer 2021 –Release the Grant Application Guide/call-for-applications
- Fall 2021 - Grant application deadline
- Spring 2022 – Grant announcements
- Fall 2022 – Grant recipients begin project activities
- Winter-Summer 2025 – Grant projects are completed, and grant funds expire (expiration dates depend on grant recipient and fund-type)
FY 2020-21 Grant Awards
On June 18, 2020, Caltrans announced the Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program awards for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020-21. A statewide total of 178 grant applications were received and requested approximately $54 million for Sustainable Communities Competitive and Strategic Partnerships Grants. Of these applications, 77 were selected for grant awards, totaling approximately $21.5 million. The grant award and non-award lists for each grant are provided below. In addition, Metropolitan Planning Organizations will receive $12.5 million in Sustainable Communities Formula grants to further their Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy.