Sustainable Transportation Planning Grants
Caltrans Releases the FY 2021-22 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is pleased to release the Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide and call-for-applications. The Grant Application Guide was updated this year with input from four public workshops and stakeholder comments. A total of $34 million is available for transportation planning projects statewide. The information provided below will assist with the successful completion of grant applications, due February 12, 2021 by 5 PM. Grant announcements are anticipated in spring 2021 (see schedule below). Contact the appropriate Caltrans district staff (see “District Contacts” below) if there are questions about developing competitive grant applications.
The Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program includes:
- Sustainable Communities Grants ($29.5 million) to encourage local and regional planning that furthers state goals, including, but not limited to, the goals and best practices cited in the Regional Transportation Plan Guidelines adopted by the California Transportation Commission.
- Strategic Partnerships Grants ($4.5 million) to identify and address statewide, interregional, or regional transportation deficiencies on the State highway system in partnership with Caltrans. A sub-category funds transit-focused planning projects that address multimodal transportation deficiencies.
It is envisioned that these planning grants will provide much needed funding to support regional sustainable communities’ strategies and ultimately achieve the State's greenhouse gas reductions targets of 40 and 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and 2050, respectively.
The Grant Application Guide and Grant Application Cover Sheet will be posted soon. In the meantime, send an email request for these documents to Regional.Planning.Grants@dot.ca.gov.
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 (and/or a division contact) or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
Upcoming FY 2021-22 Grants Schedule
The FY 2021-22 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide was updated with stakeholder input in spring-fall 2020. The grant schedule is outlined below.
- April 2020 – Two virtual workshops to receive input for Draft development
- October 2020 – Release Draft for a formal 30-day public comment period
- November 2020 – Two final virtual workshops to receive input for the final document
- December 10, 2020 - Release the final Grant Application Guide/call-for-applications
- December 2020 – January 2021 – Caltrans Headquarters and districts conduct grant application workshops (ask District Contacts for workshop dates and information)
- December 15 – Caltrans District 4 workshop from 10:00-11:30 AM
- December 17 – Caltrans Districts 7, 8, and 12 joint workshop from 1:00-2:00 PM
- January 5 – Caltrans District 11 workshop from 2:00-3:30 PM
- January 7 - Caltrans District 2 workshop from 10:00-11:30 AM
- January 8 – Caltrans District 1 workshop from 1:00-2:00 PM
- January 8 - Caltrans District 5 workshop from 10:00 AM-12:00 PM
- January 12 - Caltrans Districts 7, 8, and 12 joint workshop from 10:30-11:30 AM
- January 13 – Caltrans District 10 workshop from 9:00 – 10:30 AM
- January 20 – Caltrans District 3 workshop from 9:00 – 10:00 AM
- January 21 – Caltrans District 6 workshop from 10:00-11:00 AM
- January 26 – Caltrans workshop for Native American Tribal Governments from 9:30-11:00 AM
- January 28 – Caltrans statewide workshop from 9:30 – 11:00 AM
- February 12, 2021 - Grant application deadline
- June 2021 – Grant announcements
- Fall 2021 – Grant recipients begin project activities
- Winter-Summer 2024 – Grant projects are completed, and grant funds expire (expiration dates depend on grant recipient and fund-type)
FY 2020-21 Grant Awards
On June 18, 2020, Caltrans announced the Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program awards for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020-21. A statewide total of 178 grant applications were received and requested approximately $54 million for Sustainable Communities Competitive and Strategic Partnerships Grants. Of these applications, 77 were selected for grant awards, totaling approximately $21.5 million. The grant award and non-award lists for each grant are provided below. In addition, Metropolitan Planning Organizations will receive $12.5 million in Sustainable Communities Formula grants to further their Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy. Grant applicants are encouraged to contact Caltrans district staff to request feedback for unsuccessful applications and receive technical assistance with application development.