Sustainable Transportation Planning Grants
Caltrans Releases the FY 2022-23 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide
The California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) is pleased to release the Fiscal Year (FY) Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide and call-for-applications. A total of $34 million is available for transportation planning projects statewide. The information provided below will assist with the successful completion of grant applications, due October 27, 2021 by 5 PM. Caltrans will be conducting virtual grant application workshops in September 2021. See the grants schedule below for details. Contact the appropriate Caltrans district staff (see “District Contacts” below) if there are questions about developing competitive grant applications.
The Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program includes:
- Sustainable Communities Grants ($29.5 million) to encourage local and regional planning that furthers state goals, including, but not limited to, the goals and best practices cited in the Regional Transportation Plan Guidelines adopted by the California Transportation Commission.
- Strategic Partnerships Grants ($4.5 million) to identify and address statewide, interregional, or regional transportation deficiencies on the State highway system in partnership with Caltrans. A sub-category funds transit-focused planning projects that address multimodal transportation deficiencies.
It is envisioned that these planning grants will provide much needed funding to support regional sustainable communities’ strategies and ultimately achieve the State's greenhouse gas reductions targets of 40 and 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2030 and 2050, respectively.
- FY 2022-23 Grant Application Guide (PDF)
- Application Checklist (PDF)
- Application Cover Sheet (PDF)
- Application Signature Page (PDF)
- Sustainable Communities Application Narrative (PDF)
- Strategic Partnerships Application Narrative (PDF)
- Scope of Work Checklist and Template (DOCX)
- Cost and Schedule Checklist and Template (XLSX)
- Third Party In-Kind Valuation Plan Checklist and Template (XLSX)
- Local Match Calculator (XLSX)
- District Contacts (PDF)
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 (and/or a division contact) or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.FY 2022-23 Grants Schedule
The FY 2022-23 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant schedule is outlined below. Applicants are encouraged to visit the California Grants Portal and subscribe to receive a notifications about State funding opportunities.
- September 7, 2021 –Release the Grant Application Guide/call-for-applications and conduct virtual grant application workshops. Interested parties should email the appropriate Caltrans District Contact to request district workshop details or contact Caltrans Headquarters to request statewide workshop details.
- Caltrans District 1 – September 23 at 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM
- Caltrans District 2 – September 9 at 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Caltrans District 3 – September 23 at 9:00 AM – 11: 00 AM
- Caltrans District 4 – September 23 at 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Caltrans District 5 – September 15 at 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Caltrans District 6 and 9 – September 22 at 1:30 PM – 3:00 PM
- Caltrans Districts 7, 8, and 12 – September 14 at 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Caltrans Districts 7, 8, and 12 – September 16 at 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Caltrans District 10 – September 21 at 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Caltrans District 11 – September 21 at 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Statewide – September 28 at 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- Statewide for Native American Tribal Governments – September 29 at 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
- October 27, 2021 - Grant application deadline
- Fall 2021 – Winter 2022 – Application evaluation and management approval of grant recommendations
- Spring 2022 – Grant announcements
- Fall 2022 – Grant recipients begin project activities
- Winter-Summer 2025 – Grant projects are completed, and grant funds expire (expiration dates depend on grant recipient and fund-type)
FY 2021-22 Grant Awards
On June 22, 2021, Caltrans announced the Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program awards for Fiscal Year (FY) 2021-22. A statewide total of 169 grant applications were received with requests totaling approximately $55 million for Sustainable Communities Competitive and Strategic Partnerships Grants. Of these applications, 59 were selected for grant awards, totaling approximately $21.5 million. The grant award and non-award lists for each grant are provided below. In addition, Metropolitan Planning Organizations will receive $12.5 million in Sustainable Communities Formula grants to further their Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy.
FY 2020-21 Grant Awards
On June 18, 2020, Caltrans announced the Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Program awards for Fiscal Year (FY) 2020-21. A statewide total of 178 grant applications were received and requested approximately $54 million for Sustainable Communities Competitive and Strategic Partnerships Grants. Of these applications, 77 were selected for grant awards, totaling approximately $21.5 million. The grant award and non-award lists for each grant are provided below. In addition, Metropolitan Planning Organizations will receive $12.5 million in Sustainable Communities Formula grants to further their Regional Transportation Plan/Sustainable Communities Strategy.