Sustainable Transportation Planning Grants
Announcing the FY 2020-21 Sustainable Transportation Grant Application Guide and Call-for-Applications
Caltrans is pleased to release the Fiscal Year (FY) 2020-21 Grant Application Guide and call-for-applications for the traditional State and federal funding, as well as grant funding from Senate Bill 1, the Road Repair & Accountability Act of 2017. The Grant Application Guide was updated last summer in 2018 with input from four public workshops and stakeholder comments. A total of approximately $34 million is available for transportation planning projects statewide. Grant announcements are anticipated in spring 2020 (see schedule below). Please contact the Office of Regional Planning to obtain the FY 2020-21 Grant Application Guide, application forms, and required templates.
The Sustainable Transportation Planning Grants include:
- Sustainable Communities Grants ($29.5 million) to encourage local and regional planning that furthers state goals, including, but not limited to, the goals and best practices cited in the Regional Transportation Plan Guidelines adopted by the California Transportation Commission.
- Strategic Partnerships Grants ($4.5 million) to identify and address statewide, interregional, or regional transportation deficiencies on the State highway system in partnership with Caltrans. The transit component that will fund planning projects that address multimodal transportation deficiencies with a focus on transit.
FY 2020-21 Grants Schedule
- August 16, 2019 – Release FY 2020-21 Sustainable Transportation Planning Grant Application Guide and call-for-applications
- October 11, 2019 – Grant application deadline
- Spring 2020 – Grant announcements
- September 2020 – Anticipated project start date
- February 28, 2023 – Project end date (no time extensions will be granted)
- April 28, 2023 – Final invoice date