Data and Geospatial Management
Provide Caltrans with data and information as needed, efficiently and in the right format by informed use of available and emerging technology.
A dynamic and innovative Branch adapting the latest data-related science and technology to provide high-quality data and information to Caltrans and its stakeholders to facilitate advancements in transportation field.
- Managing analytic tools and data for use in programs in Headquarters and districts such as State planning, multi-modal system planning and corridor planning, freight planning, active transportation planning, traffic operations, and project initiation documents (PIDs).
- Collaboration with internal partners, Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPOs), Regional Transportation Planning Agencies (RTPA), local agencies, FHWA, and US Census to provide multi-modal travel data and demographic characteristics, home and work location and journey to work travel related information to internal and partner agencies.
- Coordination with academic and research organizations, and private consulting firms.
- Producing the official estimates of the travel surveys and assessing travel trends for the state.
- Evaluation of the emerging and state-of-the-art data sources and technologies including big data acquisition for deployment in Caltrans travel analysis toolbox.