The Aeronautics Program provides a safe and reliable aviation transportation network that serves all people and respects the environment.
The Aeronautics Program sets policies and procedures for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) use and coordinates internal Caltrans UAS operations.
UAS Operations by outside entities on the State Highway System
- Operations associated with Caltrans construction activities and studies must be coordinated through the Caltrans resident engineer or contract manager.
- Operations not associated with Caltrans construction activities or studies require an Encroachment Permit. Encroachment permit requests are approved on a case-by case basis and for limited activities, in accordance to the Caltrans Encroachment Permit Policies.
- All authorized UAS operations must be compliant with federal regulations, State laws, local ordinances, Caltrans policies and procedures, and permit/contract conditions.
- UAS operations for commercial filming purposes must be coordinated separately through the California Film Commission UAS website.
For all other UAS related inquires, contact the Caltrans UAS Program
Airport Heliport Permits
Grants and Loans
- Acquisition and Development Grant
- Airport Capital Improvement Plan
- Airport Improvement Program Matching Grant
- Airport Loans
- Annual Credit Grant
- State Dollars for Your Airport (PDF)