COVID-19 Related Relief for the Transportation of Perishable Agricultural Products
Caltrans will be issuing special transportation permits for legal truck combinations to travel on the state highway system (excluding interstates and on certain bridges) for transporting 'perishable agricultural products' in support of COVID-19 relief. With this permit, Surface Transportation Assistance Act and California legal tractor trailer combinations will be allowed to exceed the current legal weight chart limits as per the California Vehicle Code 35551 on the state highways identified on the permit. The combined gross vehicle weight shall not exceed 88,000 pounds. These permits expire upon the earlier occurrence of: 60 days from the date of permit issuance; December 31, 2021; or upon written notice from Caltrans of revocation of the permit. These special transportation permits are not for Interstates or for local roads. Overweight trucks transporting perishable agricultural products will have to get permits from local jurisdictions to travel on local roads.
These permits are valid for loads composed of any perishable agricultural products including farm goods that, prior to processing, cannot be stored for a substantial period of time without excessive loss through deterioration or spoilage. Other mixed cargo is not permitted.
Instructions: Please read the following notes prior to filling out the application form at the bottom of this page.
- This special permit is for Legal Truck Overweight for specific perishable agricultural products.
- Submitted applications must include a completed 2-page application form and “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheets for single and double trailers to be used under this permit.
- Permittees are responsible for filling out the "Route Information Log" spreadsheet for each permitted vehicle every 30 days and submit to Caltrans at email@example.com.
- This permit application is not an electronically fillable form. You must print and fill it out.
- This permit is a blanket permit that may be applied to any vehicle in your company's fleet. You may print out copies for each vehicle in your fleet.
- This permit is valid for the vehicles listed in the two “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheets only.
- This permit allows an additional 2,000 pounds max for a single axle, 5,000 pounds max for tandem or greater axles, and up to a maximum of 88,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
- Permitted trucks are allowed only on the State Highway System except bridges on the List of Restricted Bridges for 88,000 Pounds (PDF). For a topographical view of these bridges, see the Caltrans Statewide Restricted State Bridges for 88,000 lb Trucks Map Viewer.
- This permit has a fee of $90 and expires upon the earlier occurrence of: 60 days from the date of permit issuance; December 31, 2021; or upon written notice from Caltrans of revocation of the permit.
- Do not include a credit card number on the application. Our Transportation Permits staff will call you for payment prior the approval.
- Review all additional permit conditions on page (2) and (3) and submit a completed application via e-mail to Oversize.Overweight.Permits@dot.ca.gov. No faxes will be accepted.
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
Download, fill out, and submit the Perishable Agricultural Products Permit Form (PDF), Single Trailer Hauling Equipment List (XLSX), and if needed, the Double Trailer Hauling Equipment List (XLSX). The Route Information Log (XLSX) should be filled out every 30 days.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Permit Office at (916) 322-1297.
Transportation Permits Links
- Transportation Permits HOMEPAGE
- Route Clearing Database - CalRoute
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Single Trip Pilot Car Maps
- Annual Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table (PDF)
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Walk-In Hours: 8am-3pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel (PDF)
2021 Office Holiday Info (PDF)
After-Hours Permit Emergencies:
Emergency Permit Procedures
Transportation Permits Training