Legal Truck Overweight Permit Application
Please read the following notes prior to filling out the application form at the bottom of this page.
- This special permit is for Legal Truck Overweight for “Essential Goods” only.
Additional information of “Essential Goods” is listed in the application page (3) or can be found on the Legal Truck Overweight Permits for Essential Goods page.
- Submitted applications must include a completed 3-page application form and “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheets for single and double trailers to be used under this permit.
- This permit application is not an electronically fillable form. You must print and fill it out.
- This permit is a blanket permit that may be applied to all vehicles in your company's fleet. You may print out copies for each vehicle in your fleet.
- This permit is valid for the vehicles listed in the two “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheets only.
- This permit allows an additional 2,000 lbs max for a single axle, 5,000 lbs max for tandem or greater axles, and up to a maximum of 88,000 lbs gross vehicle weight.
- Permitted trucks are allowed on the State Highway System except the restricted bridges listed on the application in Table 1 (page 1) and Table 2 (page 2).
- This permit has a fee of $90 and will be valid until July 11, 2020 or for the duration of the Presidentially-declared emergency, whichever is earlier.
- Do not include a credit card number on the application. Our Transportation Permits staff will call you for payment prior the approval.
- A completed application must be submitted via e-mail to Oversize.Overweight.Permits@dot.ca.gov. No faxes will be accepted.
To apply: download, fill out, and submit the Fleet Permit application (PDF) and Single Trailer Hauling Equipment List (XLSX), and if needed, the Double Trailer Hauling Equipment List (XLSX).
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Permit Office at (916) 322-1297.
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 (and/or a division contact) or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
Transportation Permits Links
- Transportation Permits HOMEPAGE
- Route Clearing Database - CalRoute
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table (PDF)
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays except ML King Day, Cesar Chavez Day, & Veterans Day)
Walk-In Hours: 8am-3pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel (PDF)
2020 Office Holiday Info (PDF)
After-Hours Permit Emergencies: (916) 653-3442
Emergency Permit Procedures