Overweight Intermodal Shipping Container Permits for Supply Chain Relief
Record demand for imported goods combined with capacity issues across the entire supply chain have slowed distribution at ports on the California coast. Per Executive Order N-19-21 issued by the governor of California on October 20, 2021, Caltrans will be issuing special transportation permits for legal truck combinations to travel on the state highway system (excluding certain bridges). These trucks will be transporting overweight intermodal shipping containers containing international commerce between ports and distribution centers. The combined gross vehicle weight shall not exceed 88,000 pounds. These permits expire on June 30, 2022, or upon written notice from Caltrans of revocation of the permit. Trucks transporting these overweight intermodal shipping containers will have to get permits from local jurisdictions to travel on local roads.
Refer to the Office of the Governor for more details regarding the executive order.
Instructions: Please read the following notes prior to filling out the application form at the bottom of this page.
- This special permit is for overweight intermodal shipping containers transporting international commerce.
- Submitted applications must include a completed 3-page application form and “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheet.
- Provide the route in detail avoiding all restricted bridges attached. Use a separate sheet if you need additional space.
- Permittees will provide a 30-day report (Route Information Log), providing the origin location, destination location, and the route that was taken from origin to destination. This spreadsheet log must be submitted within 5 days of the 30-day period to Caltrans at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This permit application is not an electronically fillable form. You must print and fill it out.
- This permit is a blanket permit that may be applied to any vehicle in your company's fleet. Hard copies or electronic versions of the permit and accompaniments are acceptable.
- This permit is valid for the vehicles listed in the “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheet only.
- This permit allows an additional 4,000 pounds max for a single axle, 6,000 pounds max for tandem or greater axles, and up to a maximum of 88,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
- Permitted trucks are allowed on State Highway System, except on the List of Restricted Bridges for 88,000 Pounds (PDF). For a topographical view of these bridges, see the Caltrans Statewide Restricted State Bridges for 88,000 lb Trucks Map Viewer.
- This permit has a fee of $90 and expires on June 30, 2022, or upon written notice from Caltrans of revocation of the permit.
- Do not include a credit card number on the application. Transportation Permits staff will call you for payment prior to approval.
- Review all additional permit conditions on page 2 and 3 and submit a completed application via e-mail to Oversize.Overweight.Permits@dot.ca.gov. No faxes will be accepted.
Download, fill out, and submit the Intermodal Shipping Container Permit Form (PDF) and Hauling Equipment List (XLSX). The Route Information Log (XLSX) must be submitted within 5 days of the 30-day period.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Permit Office at (916) 322-1297.
Transportation Permits Links
- Transportation Permits - Home
- Route Clearing Database - CalRoute
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Single Trip Pilot Car Maps
- Annual Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table (PDF)
- Construction Liaisons
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel (PDF)
2022 Office Holiday Info (PDF)
After-Hours Permit Emergencies:
Emergency Permit Procedures
Transportation Permits Training