COVID-19 Related Relief for the Transportation of Agricultural Harvests
2021 Overweight Transportation Permits for COVID-19 Related Relief for the Transportation of Agricultural Products
Caltrans will be issuing special transportation permits for legal truck combinations to travel on the state highway system (excluding interstates and on certain bridges) for transporting 'agricultural products' in support of COVID-19 relief. With this permit, Surface Transportation Assistance Act and California legal tractor trailer combinations will be allowed to exceed the current legal weight chart limits as per the California Vehicle Code 35551 on the state highways identified on the permit. The combined gross vehicle weight shall not exceed 88,000 pounds. These special permits will be valid for up to sixty days from the permit’s effective date but no later than August 31, 2021. These special transportation permits are not for Interstates or for local roads. Overweight trucks transporting agricultural products will have to get permits from local jurisdictions to travel on local roads.
For permitting qualifying loads, "agricultural products" are defined as tomatoes, peaches, pears, grapes, onions, peppers, carrots, citrus, almonds, pistachios, walnuts, olives, pomegranates, rice, wheat, corn, safflower, and potatoes. Delivery of agricultural products does not include commercial deliveries containing agricultural products other than those listed above.
Instructions: Please read the following notes prior to filling out the application form at the bottom of this page.
- This special permit is for Legal Truck Overweight for specific Agricultural Products only.
- Submitted applications must include a completed 2-page application form and “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheets for single and double trailers to be used under this permit.
- Permittees are responsible for filling out the "Route Information Log" spreadsheet for each permitted vehicle every 30 days and submit to Caltrans at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This permit application is not an electronically fillable form. You must print and fill it out.
- This permit is a blanket permit that may be applied to any vehicle in your company's fleet. You may print out copies for each vehicle in your fleet.
- This permit is valid for the vehicles listed in the two “Hauling Equipment List” spreadsheets only.
- This permit allows an additional 2,000 pounds max for a single axle, 5,000 pounds max for tandem or greater axles, and up to a maximum of 88,000 pounds gross vehicle weight.
- Permitted trucks are allowed only on the State Highway System except bridges on the List of Restricted Bridges for 88,000 Pounds (PDF).
- This permit has a fee of $90 and will be valid for 60 days from the effective date but no later than August 31, 2021.
- Do not include a credit card number on the application. Our Transportation Permits staff will call you for payment prior the approval.
- A completed application must be submitted via e-mail to Oversize.Overweight.Permits@dot.ca.gov. No faxes will be accepted.
To apply: download, fill out, and submit the Agricultural Products Permit Form (PDF), Single Trailer Hauling Equipment List (XLSX), and if needed, the Double Trailer Hauling Equipment List (XLSX). The Route Information Log (XLSX) should be filled out every 30 days.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the Permit Office at (916) 322-1297.
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 or visit https://dot.ca.gov/request-ada-compliant-documents.
Transportation Permits Links
- Transportation Permits HOMEPAGE
- Route Clearing Database - CalRoute
- Application Forms & Accompaniments
- Interactive Application Instructions
- Transportation Permits Manual
- Extralegal Weight Charts
- Single Trip Pilot Car Maps
- Annual Pilot Car Maps
- Red Route Summary Table (PDF)
Permits Issuance Branch
1823 14th St., Sacramento, CA 95811-7119
Main Phone: (916) 322-1297
Single Trip Fax: (916) 322-4966
Annual/Repetitive Fax: (916) 445-0469
Variance Fax: (916) 322-1505
Office Hours: 8am-5pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Walk-In Hours: 8am-3pm, Mon-Fri
(Closed on State Holidays)
Special Conditions for Holiday Travel (PDF)
2021 Office Holiday Info (PDF)
After-Hours Permit Emergencies:
Emergency Permit Procedures
Transportation Permits Training