Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP)
The Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP) was created by Senate Bill (SB) 862 (Chapter 36, Statutes of 2014) and modified by 9 (Chapter 710, Statutes of 2015), to provide grants from the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (GGRF) to fund transformative capital improvements that will modernize California’s intercity, commuter, and urban rail systems, and bus and ferry transit systems to significantly reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, vehicle miles traveled, and congestion. The legislation of these bills is established in Sections 75220 through 75225 of the Public Resources Codes (PRC). Assembly Bill 398 (Chapter 135) extended the Cap and Trade Program that supports the TIRCP from 2020 through 2030. SB 1 (Chapter 5) continues to provide a historic funding increase for transportation with funds directed to the TIRCP from the Public Transportation Account for new programming to achieve the following objectives:
- Reduction in greenhouse gas emissions;
- Expand and improve transit service to increase ridership;
- Integrate the rail service of the state’s various rail operations, including integration with the high-speed rail system; and
- Improve transit safety
The Secretary of the Transportation Agency (CalSTA) has delegated the authority for the administration of TIRCP to the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans). The Caltrans Division of Rail and Mass Transportation (DRMT) is administering the program pursuant to the TIRCP Guidelines and all applicable policies and procedures for program administration.
Program information can found at the CalSTA Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program (TIRCP) webpage.
Local Partner Resources
Below are resources for our local partners to assist in the management of TIRCP projects.
In order to request an allocation from the CTC, local partners must submit the following documentation to their TIRCP Project Manager:
- A signed agency request letter (sample templates available upon request to Project Manager)
- A completed PPR
- A defined scope of work
- Proof of environmental clearance (NOE, MND, EIR)
In order to request a time extension, local partners must submit the following documentation to their TIRCP Project Manager:
- A signed agency request letter
- A completed PPR showing the revised schedule
- Any other supporting documents
TIRCP Terms & Definitions
Do you ever find yourself confused and overwhelmed with all of the terms and definitions associated with TIRCP? We've put together a handy Glossary of Commonly Used Terms to help define and clarify our vernacular.
What do you need to provide in an invoice package for your project manager? Find out in our TIRCP Invoice Package Checklist.
Provided below are other useful guidance documents or resources to aid in the administration of TIRCP projects.
When are our reporting deadlines, CTC Meetings, deadlines to request allocation, etc.? View the Local Agency Calendar of Events to see for yourself.
Curious who to contact for different TIRCP processes? Use our Contact List to find the right resources.
2018 Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program
- 2018 TIRCP Common Guidance, Themes, and Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)*
- 2018 TIRCP Call for Projects Announcement (PDF)*
- 2018 TIRCP List of Applications (PDF)*
- Sept./Oct. 2017 - TIRCP 2018 Guidelines Formal Draft Presentation (PPTX)*
- August 2017 - TIRCP 2018 Guidelines Discussion Draft Presentation (PPTX)*
- June 2017 - Kick-Off Workshop for TIRCP Guideline Development Recorded Webinar
- June 2017 - Kick-Off Workshop Presentation for Guideline Development (PPTX)
- 2018 TIRCP Fact Sheet (PDF)*
2016 Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program
- Common Guidance Themes and FAQs from the Pre-Application Meetings (PDF)
- 2016 TIRCP Call for Projects (PDF)
- 2016 TIRCP Greenhouse Gas Quantification Tool
- 2016 TIRCP Greenhouse Gas Quantification Methodology (PDF)
- Presentation from the January 19 & 20, 2016 TIRCP Workshops (PDF)
- TIRCP Workshop Presentation - November 2015(PPTX)
- TIRCP Workshop Announcement - November 2015 (PDF)
- 2016 TIRCP Fact Sheet (PDF)
2015 Transit and Intercity Rail Capital Program