Public Transportation Modernization, Improvement, and Service Enhancement Account (PTMISEA)
The Public Transportation Modernization, Improvement, and Service Enhancement Account Program (PTMISEA) was created by Proposition 1B, the Highway Safety, Traffic Reduction, Air Quality, and Port Security Bond Act of 2006. Of the $19.925 billion available to Transportation, $3.6 billion dollars was allocated to PTMISEA to be available to transit operators over a ten-year period. PTMISEA funds may be used for transit rehabilitation, safety or modernization improvements, capital service enhancements or expansions, new capital projects, bus rapid transit improvements, or rolling stock (buses and rail cars) procurement, rehabilitation or replacement. Funds in this account are appropriated annually by the Legislature to the State Controllers Office (SCO) for allocation in accordance with Public Utilities Code formula distributions: 50% allocated to Local Operators based on fare-box revenue and 50% to Regional Entities based on population.
In Fiscal Year (FY) 2007/08, Senate Bill 88 identified the Department of Transportation as the administering agency. The final appropriation of program funds was made in the FY 2014-15 State Budget.
December 31, 2019 – Transportation Development Act (TDA) Audit or Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) are due to Caltrans.
The Budget Act of 2018 re-appropriated the remaining balances of the FY 2008-09 through FY 2014-15 PTMISEA appropriations.
The final distribution of warrants for remaining PTMISEA funds was issuced by the SCO on April 9, 2019.
All PTMISEA funds are available for encumbrance and liquidation until June 30, 2023.
Related Resources and Other Items of Interest
- Delinquent Agency Report(PDF)
- Obstacles and Delays Report(PDF)
- Governor's Bond Accountability Website
- California State Controller's Office List of Approved Allocations
- Listing of Allocated Projects to Date
- TDA Audit Information Sheet(DOC)
- Residual SCO Allocation List(PDF)
- FY 14-15 SCO Allocation List(PDF)
- FY 10-11 SCO Allocation List(PDF)
- FY 09-10 SCO Allocation List(PDF)
- FY 08-09 SCO Allocation List(PDF)
- FY 07-08 SCO Allocation List(PDF)
- FY 17-18 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 16-17 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 15-16 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 14-15 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 13-14 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 12-13 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 11-12 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 10-11 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- FY 09-10 Report to Legislature(PDF)
- Revised Allocation Request(XLSX)
- Authorized Agent Form(DOC)
- Certification and Assurance(DOC)
- Sample of Board Resolution(DOC)
- Project Lead Checklist(XLS)
- PTMISEA Allocation Request(XLSX)
- Corrective Action Plan(XLS)
- Semi-Annual Report(DOC)
- Semi-Annual Itemized Expenditure Table(XLS)
- Final Project Report(XLS)
- PTMISEA Expenditure Plan Worksheet(XLS)
- Revised Expenditure Plan(XLSX)
Guidelines and Instructions
- PTMISEA Guidelines(PDF)
- Allocation Request Instructions(PDF)
- PTMISEA Letter of No Prejudice (LONP) Guidelines(PDF)
- Semi_Annual Progress Report Instructions(PDF)