Low Carbon Transit Operations Program (LCTOP)
The Low Carbon Transit Operations Program (LCTOP) is one of several programs that are part of the Transit, Affordable Housing, and Sustainable Communities Program established by the California Legislature in 2014 by Senate Bill 862. For more information on the Transit, Affordable Housing, and Sustainable Communities Program (and associated programs) please visit California Climate Investments.
This site serves as a central hub for information about California Climate Investments.
The LCTOP was created to provide operating and capital assistance for transit agencies to reduce greenhouse gas emission and improve mobility, with a priority on serving disadvantaged communities. Approved projects in LCTOP will support new or expanded bus or rail services, expand intermodal transit facilities, and may include equipment acquisition, fueling, maintenance and other costs to operate those services or facilities, with each project reducing greenhouse gas emissions. For agencies whose service area includes disadvantaged communities, at least 50 percent of the total moneys received shall be expended on projects that will benefit disadvantaged communities. Senate Bill 862 continuously appropriates five percent of the annual auction proceeds in the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (Fund) for LCTOP, beginning in 2015-16.
This program will be administered by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) in coordination with Air Resource Board (ARB) and the State Controller's Office (SCO). Caltrans is responsible to ensure that the statutory requirements of the program are met in terms of project eligibility, greenhouse reduction, disadvantaged community benefit, and other requirements of the law.
Final FY 2020-21 LCTOP Allocation Request submittals are due Friday, April 9, 2021.
- For more information please review teleconference hosted Jan 28, 2021or Feb 17, 2021 or contact your LCTOP Liaison.
LCTOP Program Information
Accessibility Assistance: Caltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, there may be portions of this document which are not accessible. Where documents cannot be made accessible, we are committed to providing alternative access to the content. Should you need additional assistance, please contact us at (916) 654-2852 or visit Request ADA compliant Documents .
- LCTOP FY 2019-20 Guidelines (PDF)
- State Controller Office LCTOP Eligibility List (PDF)
- Allocation Request Sample I (PDF)
- Allocation Request Sample 2 (PDF)
- Allocation Request Sample 3 (PDF)
- LCTOP Delinquent List 12/14/2018 (PDF)
- Read Me (PDF)
- Allocation Request Form (XLSX)
- Authorized Agent Form (DOCX)
- Corrective Action Plan (DOCX)
- LCTOP Semi-Annual Report (DOCX)
- LCTOP Close Out Report (DOCX)
- LCTOP Expenditure Report (XLSX)
- California Climate Investments Annual Report 2018 (PDF)
Items of Interest
- Transit and Rail Workshop for Guideline Development for programs funded by Senate Bill 1 and Senate Bill 862: