FTA Section 5310 -Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program
Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic: Please see the Division of Rail and Mass Transportation COVID-19 FAQs, Information, and Resources Page for updates.
The 2023 Call for Projects was released via the BlackCat Transit Data Management System on June 14, 2023. The application deadline is August 30, 2023. If you are a new applicant and would like to be added to our interest list or have general questions, please contact Mark Barry
The 2022 Call for Projects: Grant funding was approved by the FTA in late September 2022. Contact your Caltrans 5310 liaison if you have questions on the status of your award.
The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 – Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program is authorized by 49 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5310.
The goal of the FTA 5310 Program is to improve the mobility of seniors and individuals with disabilities by removing barriers to transportation services and expanding the transportation mobility options available.
This program provides grant funds for capital, mobility management, and operating expenses for:
- Public transportation projects planned, designed, and carried out to meet the special needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities when public transportation is insufficient, inappropriate, or unavailable;
- Public transportation projects that exceed the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA);
- Public transportation projects that improve access to fixed-route service and decrease reliance on complementary paratransit; and
- Alternatives to public transportation projects that assist seniors and individuals with disabilities and with transportation.
- Capital - Vehicles (ADA accessible vehicles) and related equipment (cameras, mobile radios, scheduling software, etc. )
- Mobility Management (Travel training, One Stop Call Center, etc.)
- Operating Assistance
- Private non-profit organizations (all projects)
- Public agencies where no private non-profits are readily available to provide service (Capital and Mobility Management)
- Public agencies that have been approved by the State to coordinate transportation services (CTSA) (Capital and Mobility Management)
- Public agencies (for Operating Assistance and Mobility Management projects)
Information on Program Guidance and Background
- The FTA 5310 applications and further program resources such as the Bi-Annual Report template and other resourced can be found in the BlackCat Transit Data Management System under the Resources tab: Resources > Global Resources > Federal Programs > 5310. Contact Joel Rodriguez should you need BlackCat access.
- More Program and Background Information (PDF)
For general questions, please call the FTA 5310 Hotline at 1-(888) 472-6816 or contact your Caltrans 5310 Liaison (PDF)
Caltrans District HQ Liaison Contacts:
- 1, 2, 9 &11: Patrice Carroll
- 3 & 10: Jackie Fleck
- 4 & 8: Valarie Smith
- 5, 6, 7 & 12: Joel Rodriguez
- Branch Chief: Mark Barry
Links to Important Information:
- BlackCat Transit Data Management System
- Caltrans FTA 5310 Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FTA Circular FTA C 9070.1G
- Caltrans 5310 Traditional Scoring Criteria (PDF)
- Caltrans 5310 Expanded Scoring Criteria (PDF)
- State Management Plan
- 5310 Agency Monitoring Form (PDF)
- Reimbursement Request Form
- Sample Resolution of Authority