FTA Section 5310 -Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program
Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic – Please see the Division of Rail and Mass Transportation COVID-19 FAQs, Information, and Resources Page for updates.
2019 Call for Projects: The 2019 Call for Projects application period closed 9/6/2019. Draft Project Lists were released on 1/17/2020 and adoption for the Small Urban and Rural Program of Projects was approved 3/25/2020 by the California Transportation Commission. The grant was approved by FTA on 8/28/2020. Contact your Caltrans Headquarters Liaison (PDF) if you have questions on the status of your awarded project.
Next Call for Projects: The next Call for Projects is estimated to be released in early 2022. If you are a new applicant and would like to be added to an interest list or have general program questions please contact Mark Barry.
The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Section 5310 Program – Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities Program is authorized by 49 United States Code (U.S.C.) 5310.
The goal of the FTA 5310 Program is to improve the mobility of seniors and individuals with disabilities by removing barriers to transportation services and expanding the transportation mobility options available.
This program provides grant funds for capital, mobility management, and operating expenses for:
- Public transportation projects planned, designed, and carried out to meet the special needs of seniors and individuals with disabilities when public transportation is insufficient, inappropriate, or unavailable;
- Public transportation projects that exceed the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA);
- Public transportation projects that improve access to fixed-route service and decrease reliance on complementary paratransit; and
- Alternatives to public transportation projects that assist seniors and individuals with disabilities and with transportation.
- Capital - Vehicles (ADA accessible vehicles) and related equipment (cameras, mobile radios, scheduling software, etc. )
- Mobility Management (Travel training, One Stop Call Center, etc.)
- Operating Assistance
- Private non-profit organizations (all projects)
- Public agencies where no private non-profits are readily available to provide service (Capital and Mobility Management)
- Public agencies that have been approved by the State to coordinate transportation services (CTSA) (Capital and Mobility Management)
- Public agencies (for Operating Assistance and Mobility Management projects)
Information on Program Guidance and Background
- The FTA 5310 applications and further program resources such as the Bi-Annual Report template and other resourced can be found in the BlackCat Transit Data Management System under the Resources tab: Resources > Global Resources > Federal Programs > 5310. Contact Joel Rodriguez should you need BlackCat access.
- More Program and Background Information (PDF)
For general questions, please call the FTA 5310 Hotline at 1-(888) 472-6816 or contact the Caltrans Headquarters Liaison (PDF)
Caltrans District HQ Liaison Contacts:
- 1, 2, 9 &11: Patrice Carroll
- 3 & 10: Jackie Fleck
- 4 & 8: Valarie Smith
- 5, 6, 7 & 12: Joel Rodriguez
- Branch Chief: Mark Barry