Submit a Claim

Anyone who has provided goods and/or services to the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) and who believes that Caltrans has caused him or her monetary loss can file a claim. Pursuant to Government Code §935.7, Caltrans is authorized to resolve claims for $12,500 or less.

Submit an Equity Claim ($12,500 or Less)

Caltrans has delegated authority to resolve claims for dollar amounts within the jurisdiction of the small claims courts. The current jurisdiction of the small claims courts is $12,500; therefore, you may file a claim directly with Caltrans for $12,500 or less. Claims must be filed within one (1) year after the incident occurred.

A claim can be filed for losses you believe were caused by the action or inaction of Caltrans. These losses would include refunds of a fee or penalty, or a vendor contract dispute. A claim for damages caused by a local government agency must be filed directly with the local agency that is involved. Do not file your claim with Caltrans if your claim is with any other institution.

Government Code §900, et seq. details the required contents for a claim. Equity Claims of $12,500 or Less (Other Than Employee Claims) form (ADM-3016) is an optional form that meets those requirements, and is provided as a convenience. All claims for $12,500 or less must be submitted to:

California Department of Transportation 
Division of Procurement and Contracts, MS-65 
Bid, Protest, and Dispute Branch 
1727 30th Street 
Sacramento, CA 95816

NOTE: If your claim against Caltrans is related to death or personal injury or damage to personal property or growing crops, and is for $12,500 or less, visit Filing a Damage Claim Against Caltrans. For these types of claims a form LD-0274, Claim Against Department of Transportation for Amounts $12,500 or Less is required.

Submit a Claim (More Than $12,500)

Claims for more than $12,500 must be submitted to the Government Claims Program (GCP). For detailed information on how to file a claim against Caltrans for more than $12,500, visit the Government Claims Program website.