Submit Damage Claim

Claims for $10,000 or less 

If your claim is for death or personal injury, or for injury to personal property or growing crops, which you believe was caused by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans), and the amount of your claim is $10,000 or less, you may file your claim directly with Caltrans. No filing fee is required for claims filed with Caltrans seeking $10,000 or less from Caltrans.

To present a claim for $10,000 or less, for death or personal injury, or for injury to personal property or growing crops, please fill out form LD-0274, Claim Against Department of Transportation for Amounts $10,000 or Less (PDF) to file a claim against Caltrans. File the claim by sending the completed and signed original form with your supporting documents to the appropriate Caltrans District Claims Office. To determine the proper place to file your form, you must know the county in which your incident occurred. Each county is covered by a specific District Claims Office. The list below shows the address and telephone number of each District Claims Office, and the counties served by that District Claims Office.  To see an interactive map showing the Caltrans Districts and the main District Offices, please use the following link: Caltrans Near Me.

NOTE: If your claim is related to the provision of goods and/or services to Caltrans, with or without a contract, and seeks $10,000 or less, visit the claims website for the Division of Procurements and Contracts here. For these types of claims, you would use form ADM-3016 Equity Claims of $10,000 or Less (Other Than Employee Claims) to file a claim against Caltrans.

District Claims Office Addresses and Phone Numbers

To see an interactive map showing the Caltrans Districts and the main District Offices, please use the following link: Caltrans Near Me.

District-1 - Eureka (Counties of Del Norte, Humboldt, Lake, Mendocino)

P.O. Box 3700
Eureka, CA 95502
Telephone Number: 707-445-6594

District-2 - Redding (Counties of Lassen, Modoc, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity)

1657 Riverside Dr.
Redding, CA 96001
Telephone Number: 530-225-3223

District-3 - Marysville / Sacramento (Counties of Butte, Colusa, El Dorado, Glenn, Nevada, Placer, Sacramento, Sierra, Sutter, Yolo, Yuba)

703 B Street
Marysville, CA 95901
Telephone Number: 530-741-4262

District-4 - Bay Area / Oakland (Counties of Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, Sonoma)

P.O. Box 23660
Oakland, CA 94623-0660
Telephone Number: 510-286-5806

District-5 - San Luis Obispo / Santa Barbara (Counties of Monterey, San Benito, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz)

50 Higuera Street
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Telephone Number: 805-549-3451

District-6 - Fresno / Bakersfield (Counties of Fresno, Kern [western and central areas], Kings, Madera, Tulare)

P.O. Box 12616
Fresno, CA 93778
Telephone Number: 559-445-6996

District-7 - Los Angeles (Counties of Los Angeles, Ventura)

100 South Main St., 13th floor, MS 19
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Telephone Number: 213-897-0816

District-8 - San Bernadino / Riverside (Counties of Riverside, San Bernardino)

464 W. 4th Street  MS 1244
San Bernardino, CA 92401
Telephone Number: 909-383-4351

District-9 - Bishop (Counties of Inyo, Mono, Kern [eastern area])

500 So. Main Street
Bishop, CA 93514
Telephone Number: 760-872-0648

District-10 - Stockton (Counties of Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Mariposa, Merced, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, Tuolumne)

P.O. Box 2048
Stockton, CA 95201
Telephone Number: 209-948-7864

District-11 - San Diego (Counties of Imperial, San Diego)

Legal Division
4050 Taylor Street, MS -130 
San Diego, CA 92110
Telephone Number: 619-688-2531

District-12 - Irvine / Orange County

District Claims and Legal Office
1750 E. 4th Street, Ste 100
Santa Ana, CA 92705 
Claims Hotline: 657-328-6400

Claims for over $10,000

If your claim is for over $10,000 or concerns a different department or agency of the State of California, you must file a claim with the Government Claims Program. This program gives you the opportunity to formally demand compensation for your loss, and may lead to a settlement of your claim without the need to file a lawsuit. For more information about the Government Claims Program or to request a claim form, write to:

Government Claims Program for Claims over $10,000

 Mailing Address:

Government Claims Program
Office of Risk and Insurance Management
Department of General Services
P.O. Box 989052, MS 414
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9052

General Information:

Phone (toll-free): 1-800-955-0045