Highway Bridge Program
Local Training Opportunity
- Accelerated Bridge Construction Webinar (PDF)
- Plan of Action (POA) for scour critical bridges (PDF) (Free Training)
- Link to FHWA Course Website
- Supplemental Scour POA training webinar hosted by FHWA. Webinar Link:
and related documents:
Scour Critical Bridges (PDF) and LPA-Scour Critical Bridges (PDF)
HBP Site Index
- For MPOs: FTIP/FSTIP Program Listings
- For Local Agencies: All FFY Delivery Status with Proposed Changes - Filename is responsible agency
- March 2018 HBP Project Prioritization – ON SYSTEM (PDF)
- March 2018 HBP Project Prioritization – Off SYSTEM (PDF)
- FFY 18/19 Delivery Status - updated 02/04/2019
Bridge Preventive Maintenance Program (BPMP)
- Program Announcement (04/18/2006) (PDF):
- Guidelines Update Announcement(12/23/2015)(PDF):
- BPMP Guidelines, December 2015 (12/23/2015)(PDF):
- BPMP Plan Template (12/23/2015)(Excel):
The purpose of the Program is to replace or rehabilitate public highway bridges over waterways, other topographical barriers, other highways, or railroads when the State and the Federal Highway Administration determine that a bridge is significantly important and qualifies under the HBP program Guidelines.
Reimbursable scopes of work include replacement, rehabilitation, painting, scour countermeasure, and preventative maintenance activities.
Please refer to Chapter 6 Highway Bridge Program of Local Assistance Program Guidelines (PDF) to find the application forms and also define detail eligible scopes of work and eligibility requirements. Caltrans evaluates the candidate projects for eligibility requirements and includes the successful candidate projects in the Highway Bridge Program.
The HBP Guidelines discuss the Bridge Investment Credit (BIC) delivery alternative for eligible local bridge projects. BIC FAQ's (PDF) may provide further clarification.
Caltrans then produces financially constrained program lists that are forwarded to the MPOs for inclusion into the Federal Statewide Transportation Improvement program (FSTIP). Once the projects are included into the FSTIP, local agencies must request authorization to proceed according to the Local Assistance Procedures Manual to be eligible for reimbursement.
Local Agency Bridge Inventory List:
The Local Agency Bridge List is a spreadsheet that lists most structures owned by local agencies. When reviewing the list be sure to filter out non-public highway bridges. Select “NBI-Bridge” in the column header to review bridges potentially eligible for HBP funds. The spreadsheet includes a detailed field definitions and user guide.
NOTE: For instructions on using these forms,
see theNOTE: For instructions on using these forms,
see the Highway Bridge Program of Local Assistance Program Guidelines (PDF).
- HBP Application/Scope Definition Form(PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6A)
- HBP Special Cost Approval Checklist (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6B)
- HBP Scope/Cost/Schedule Change Request (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6D)
- Exhibit 6-E Sample Funding Commitment Letter (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6E)
- Exhibit 6-F Sample Funding Sheet for Commitment Letter (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6F)
- Highway Bridge Program of Local Assistance Program Guidelines (PDF) (Chapter 06 of the Local Assistance Program Guidelines Manual)
- Bridge Preventive Maintenance Program Guidelines for Local Agencies
- Letter to Local Agencies (PDF)
- Guidelines with Template (ZIP)
- New LRFD Specification Notice (PDF)
- Title 23 United State Codes
- Title 23, Code of Federal Regulations
- Structures Maintenance and Investigations
- National Bridge Inventory Coding Guide (PDF)
- Bridge Element Inspection Manual (PDF)
- Comparative Bridge Costs
- Structure Related Design Information
- FHWA site for crash tested roadside barriers, including bridge railings.
If you have any questions regarding the HBP, please contact your District Local Assistance Engineer.
If you have any problems downloading files or other questions, please e-mail Local.Programs@dot.ca.gov
Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.