Highway Bridge Program
Local Training Opportunity
- Accelerated Bridge Construction Webinar (PDF)
- Plan of Action (POA) for scour critical bridges (PDF) (Free Training)
- Link to FHWA Course Website
- Supplemental Scour POA training webinar hosted by FHWA. Webinar Link:
and related documents:
Scour Critical Bridges (PDF) and LPA-Scour Critical Bridges (PDF)
HBP Site Index
- For MPOs: FTIP/FSTIP Program Listings
- October 2022 HBP Project Prioritization – ON SYSTEM (PDF)
- October 2022 HBP Project Prioritization – Off SYSTEM (PDF)
- FFY 23/24 Delivery Status - updated 11/03/2023
- Project Status and Summaries (Excel)- All projects
- Local HBP Advisory Committee
Bridge Preventive Maintenance Program (BPMP)
- Program Announcement (04/18/2006) (PDF):
- Guidelines Update Announcement(12/23/2015)(PDF):
- BPMP Guidelines, December 2015 (12/23/2015)(PDF):
- BPMP Plan Template (12/23/2015)(Excel):
The purpose of the Program is to replace or rehabilitate public highway bridges over waterways, other topographical barriers, other highways, or railroads when the State and the Federal Highway Administration determine that a bridge is significantly important and qualifies under the HBP program Guidelines.
Reimbursable scopes of work include replacement, rehabilitation, painting, scour countermeasure, and preventative maintenance activities.
Please refer to Chapter 6 Highway Bridge Program of Local Assistance Program Guidelines (PDF) to find the application forms and also define detail eligible scopes of work and eligibility requirements. Caltrans evaluates the candidate projects for eligibility requirements and includes the successful candidate projects in the Highway Bridge Program.
Caltrans then produces financially constrained program lists that are forwarded to the MPOs for inclusion into the Federal Statewide Transportation Improvement program (FSTIP). Once the projects are included into the FSTIP, local agencies must request authorization to proceed according to the Local Assistance Procedures Manual to be eligible for reimbursement.
Forms: (right-click and choose “save target as…” to save the files.)
NOTE: For instructions on using these forms,
see the Highway Bridge Program of Local Assistance Program Guidelines (PDF).
- HBP Application/Scope Definition Form(PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6A)
- HBP Special Cost Approval Checklist (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6B)
- HBP Scope/Cost/Schedule Change Request (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6D)
- Exhibit 6-E Sample Funding Commitment Letter (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6E)
- Exhibit 6-F Sample Funding Sheet for Commitment Letter (PDF) (LAPG Ex. 6F)
- CTC approved escalation rate is 2.7%. See 2022 STIP Fund Estimate Assumptions (PDF) for more details.
- New LRFD Specification Notice (PDF)
- Title 23 United State Codes
- Title 23, Code of Federal Regulations
- Structures Maintenance and Investigations
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) – Coding Guide and Specifications for NBI
- Comparative Bridge Costs (PDF)
- Structure Related Design Information
- FHWA site for crash tested roadside barriers, including bridge railings.
- Bridge Investment Program (BIP)
If you have any questions regarding the HBP, please contact your District Local Assistance Engineer.
Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.