Process for CRRSAA Program Projects

Guidance for the CRRSAA Program was issued by FHWA (HIP – CRRSAA) on February 24, 2021 and by the CTC under Resolution G-21-43 on May 12, 2021.  The CRRSAA Program requires projects be programmed by the Commission via approval of a Project List, prior to obligation of funds.  The Program allows for rural and small urbanized areas, with a population less than 200,000, to request State funds as an exchange.  Projects from areas with a population of 200,000 or greater may request State Only Funds on a case by case basis.  Projects funded with state-only funds are subject to Article 19 restrictions.

Not all CRRSAA Projects will be funded with State funds.

The outline below lists the steps that have to occur to obtain CRRSAA funds and begin reimbursable work.

  1. Agencies need to submit a project listing to their District Local Assistance office.  The projects must appear on and be approved by the Commission prior to requesting allocation/authorization from the Department.  The list may be for the region’s full apportionment or reflect a portion of available funding.  The project list must be presented using the template below:
    District Administering Local Agency County Respective RTPA Respective MPO Project Name Brief Project Description CRRSAA funding State Exchange
    /SOF Requested
    Total Project Cost Notes

    Rural and small urban areas should identify all projects for which State funds are being requested no later than June 2022.  This allows the Department to develop an expenditure plan for the swapped funds.

  2. Projects must appear on the FSTIP; process amendments as required.  SOF projects do not have to be in the FSTIP.

    Note: If CRRSAA funds are being utilized as matching funds, they must be converted to SOF.

  3. An electronic Project Programming Request (ePPR) will need to be submitted for each project regardless of funding i.e., Federal CRRSAA or State funds.
    1. For projects being augmented or having existing funds supplanted with CRRSAA funds, an updated ePPR will need to be submitted.
    2. All other projects will require a new ePPR be created.
  4. For projects with CRRSAA SOF, the implementing agency needs to submit the allocation request.

    For CRRSAA funded projects augmenting State Program projects (i.e., ATP, LPP, TCEP, SCCP or STIP), individual allocations will still be required per their Policy and Guidelines.

    For all other CRRSAA Program projects, the implementing agency needs to submit the allocation form and an authorization request.

Guidelines and Forms

Allocation/Authorizations requests will not be processed until an ePPR has been submitted. All requests must be submitted to the respective District Local Assistance Office.

Accessibility AssistanceCaltrans makes every attempt to ensure our documents are accessible. Due to variances between assistive technologies, some large PDFs posted on the following websites are not ADA compliant. Should you need additional assistance, please contact or (916) 324-8378.