Active Transportation Program (ATP) - Cycles 1-4
The Cycle 4 Call for Projects, anticipated to be announced by the California Transportation Commission (CTC) in May 2019, is expected to include about $440M in ATP funding made up of Federal funding and State SB1 and SHA funding. The funding/programming years are expected to include 19/20, 20/21, 21/22 and 22/23 funding years.
The following schedule lists the major milestones for the development and adoption of the 2019 ATP Cycle 4:
|Call for projects||May 16, 2018|
|Caltrans Training on Cycle 4 and the new application forms||May 21, 2018|
|Project applications to Caltrans (postmark date)||July 31, 2018|
|Staff recommendation for statewide and small urban and rural portions of the program posted||December 31, 2018|
|Commission adopts statewide and small urban and rural portions of the program||January, 2019|
|Deadline for MPO Draft project programming recommendations to the Commission||February 15, 2019|
|Commission adopts MPO selected projects||June 2019|
*Exact dates will coincide with the Commission's adopted 2019 CTC meeting calendar.
ATP Cycle 4 Application Information
CTC and Caltrans ATP Guidelines and Non-Infrastructure (NI) Guidance
ATP Cycle 4 Application (Right-click the link and choose "save link/target as..." to save/download the form)
Application Software Settings
Adobe Read DC (For applicants who need to download a free version of Adobe Reader 11.0)
Adobe Acrobat Security Settings (For applicants having difficult opening the application form)
Browser Settings (For applicants having difficult opening the application form)
The following are flat/expanded versions of the application for each project type. This is an example of the entire application form for reference only.
- Large Infrastructure (and Combo I/NI)(PDF)
- Medium Infrastructure (and Combo I/NI)(PDF)
- Small Infrastructure (and Combo I/NI)(PDF)
ATP Cycle 4 Application Instructions & Supporting Documents
- ATP Cycle 4 Application Instructions(PDF) (updated electronic submittal instructions 7/25/18)
- Application Form Technical Issues Information(PDF) (read if you are using application version 1.1)
- Application Submittal Instructions(PDF)
- ATP Question 1 Census Tract Instructions(PDF)
- ATP Application Assistance Flash Training
- TIMS ATP Tool
- Cycle 4 Scoring Rubrics
ATP Cycle 4 attachment forms
- Attachment A: Signature Page (PDF)
- Attachment B: Engineers' Checklist (PDF)
- Attachment F: Project Estimate (Required for all Infrastructure Projects)
- Attachment G: Non-Infrastructure Work Plan (Exhibit 22-R)(Excel)
- Plan Scope of Work (Exhibit 22-Plan) (PDF)
- State Funding Request (Exhibit 22-F) (Word)
- Caltrans R/W Impact Checklist (PDF)
- Project Programming Request (PPR) Instructions
ATP Cycle 4 Training Information
- ATP Cycle 4 Call for Projects and Application Technical Workshop/Webinar(PDF)
- ATP Cycle 4 Call for Projects and Application Technical Workshop/Webinar (PowerPoint Slides)(PDF)
- ATP Cycle 4 Call for Projects and Application Technical Workshop/Webinar Recording
- ATP Cycle 4 Call for Projects and Application Technical Workshop/Webinar Q and A(PDF)
- ATP Application Assistance Flash Training
ATP General and Technical Information- -The following information can be found at this link:
- ATP Documents & Forms LAPG Chapter 22 - Exhibits (Forms)
- Master Agreement (MA) Information
- Audit Information
- Non-Infrastructure (NI) Information
For Additional Information
- CTC - ATP website: https://catc.ca.gov/programs/active-transportation-program.
- Potential applicants are encouraged to check the Caltrans and CTC ATP websites for future updates.
- For training announcements, and other important Caltrans ATP Cycle 4 information, sign up to be on the Caltrans and ATRC list servers HERE.
ATP Cycle 3(including GGRF and Cycle 3 Augmentation)
On March 16, 2016, the California Transportation Commission (CTC) approved the Cycle 3 CTC ATP Guidelines. The Cycle 3 Call for Projects in 2016 included the 2019/2020 and 2020/2021 state funding years, and totaled approximately $240M.
On September 14, 2016, the Governor signed the Budget Act of 2016, appropriating $10 million in Greenhouse Gas Reduction Funds (GGRF), to augment Active Transportation Program funding.
The ATP Cycle 3 projects were further increased during ATP Cycle 3 Augmentation, with CTC approval of additional projects at their October 2017 CTC Meeting.
Adopted 2017 ATP Projects, ATP GGRF Projects, and ATP Augmentation Projects
Note: Some of the projects are shown on more than one list. For most of these projects, the augmentation programming supersedes the 2017 Cycle 3 list.
Active Transportation Program (ATP) - Cycle 2
As of October 22, 2015, the CTC has adopted the second Statewide and Small Urban & Rural program of projects for the ATP. This includes 114 projects utilizing $215,400,000 in ATP funds to help fund over $262M in projects. 88% of the funding will directly benefit disadvantaged communities.
On January 21, 2016, the CTC adopted the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) portion of the ATP program, which added 93 projects that will utilize $143M in ATP funds, to help fund over $230M in projects.
Active Transportation Program (ATP) - Cycle 1
For information on cycle 1 successful applications, please visit the CTC website https://catc.ca.gov/programs/active-transportation-program.
As of December 10, 2014, the CTC has adopted the first program of projects for the ATP. This includes 265 projects utilizing $367,968,000 in ATP funds to help fund over $1B in projects. Of this amount, $311,274,000 is dedicated to 220 projects that provide benefits to disadvantaged communities.
For project specific and call for projects questions, please contact your:
For general program questions you may contact:
- Roberta Jensen (Districts 1, 2, 3, 4), Desiree Fox (Districts 5,6, 9, 10), Teresa McWilliam (Districts 7, 8, 11, 12) or Emily Abrahams (Non-Infrastructure and Plan Project).
Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.