Consultant Selection and Procurement
Caltrans Division of Local Assistance provides guidance to local agencies on consultant selection and procurement process related to Federal aid highway projects. Consultant services contracts funded in whole, or in part, with Federal aid highway program funds shall be procured in accordance with federal requirements of Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards in 2 CFR Part 200. In addition, consultant contract for engineering and design, also known as Architectural and Engineering or A&E, must also comply with the requirements established in 23 USC Part 112, 40 USC Section 1101-1104 (Brooks Act), and 23 CFR Part 172.
A&E services are defined as “program management, construction management, feasibility studies (includes environmental studies and analysis), preliminary engineering, design, engineering, surveying, mapping or architectural related services”.
- Local Assistance Procedures Manual, Chapter 10, Consultant Selection (PDF)
- RFP vs RFQ Matrix(PDF)
- Federal vs State Procurement Matrix(PDF)
- Most Frequent Errors made by local agencies during A&E Contract Procurement (Last updated January 2016) (PDF)
- A&E Consultant Procurement Checklist(Word)
- RFP - Example (Word)
- RFP - Example (Non AE) (Word)
- RFQ – Example (Word)
- Cost Analysis Sample (Excel)
- P&P Adoption Resolution (Word)
- Analogous Method for a Project Specific Contract(PDF)
- Bottom-up Method for a Project Specific Contract (PDF)
- Bottom-up Method for an On-Call Contract (PDF)
- FHWA Consultant Services web page
- 23 CFR 172 Procurement, Management and Administration of Engineering and Design Related Services Final Rule (PDF)
- FHWA Procurement, Management and Administration of Engineering and Design Related Services – Questions and Answers
- AASHTO Consultant Contracting Guide
- Scope of Work Writing Guide for A&E Consultant Contracts (Word)
Consultant Contract Audit and Review Process Training
a. Procurement A&E Contracts
A&E Training Webinar
b. Selected Shorts Video Series (webcast):
Video 1 Limited Proposals Received (MP4) (78 sec), PDQA AE Video Shorts 1 Reference Material(PDF)
Video 2 Contract Prior to Authorization (MP4) (74 sec), PDQA AE Video Shorts 2 Reference Material(PDF)
Video 3 Local Preference vs Local Presence (MP4) (102 sec.), AE Video Shorts 3 Reference Material(PDF)
If you have any questions regarding Consultant Selection and Procurement, please contact your District Local Assistance Engineer.
Have a question? Our A&E Oversight Engineers can help you with guidance.
John Z. Yang (Acting Program Manager) - Districts 1, 2, 5 and 9
Phone (916) 651-6552
The’ Pham - Districts 4, 7, 11, and 12
Carol Green - Districts 3, 6, 8, and 10
Please feel free to send comments regarding this web site to the DLA Webmaster.