The Department's biologists, are located statewide in 14 offices and bring professional expertise to a broad range of transportation related biological issues. This diverse group of professionals is well recognized as leaders in the field of biological studies with many publishing papers presenting at professional conferences, and teaching at academic institutions.
As part of planning, project delivery, and program teams, dedicated staff tackle complex studies and consultations as they provide support for planning, capital improvements, operations and maintenance, as well as, oversight responsibilities for local assistance, special funded and consultant projects.
The Headquarters Division of Environmental Analysis (DEA) Caltrans Biology Offices of Biological Studies and Strategic Biological Planning, Advance Mitigation and Innovation provide leadership, direction, guidance and technical expertise in biology by developing and establishing policy, standards and procedures necessary to make wise transportation and natural resource decisions. Our goals are to:
- Resolve strategic project delivery issues with the rigor of science, sound engineering, effective policies, and strong partnerships and agency coordination;
- Improve stakeholder options and understanding by advancing science and sharing Innovations;
- Increase the breadth and depth of ecological expertise and leadership in the planning, permitting, implementation, and maintenance of transportation;
- Improve stewardship through better planning, implementation, monitoring and follow-up of restoration, enhancement, avoidance, minimization, and mitigation; and,
- Achieve conservation by integrating natural resources into all program and project decisions.
Caltrans works closely with resource agencies and FHWA in both the development and implementation of mitigation necessary to satisfy State and Federal laws, ensuring that required mitigation is a reasonable expenditure of highway funds.
Offices with Subject Areas
- Endangered Species
- Fish Passage
- Project Delivery Support
Strategic Biological Planning, Advance Mitigation and Innovation