Job Mix Formula Prequalification Program (JMF-PP)
The Job Mix Formula Prequalification Program (JMF-PP) has been developed to provide paving contractors prequalified JMFs that have been verified by Caltrans before the award of construction contracts. It is intended to reduce costs, delays, and additional liquidated damage payments associated with JMF verification services performed during the construction phase and allows Caltrans to achieve the goal of developing additional project delivery efficiencies as specified in SB 1.
This program is managed by Division of Engineering Services (DES), Materials Engineering and Testing Services (METS).
Requests for JMF verifications are addressed in the order in which a complete submittal has been received. The general process is identified below:
- HMA supplier submits a completed TL-3900, Job Mix Formula Submittal, form and required documentation to JMF.Submittals@dot.ca.gov.
- HMA supplier creates their CEM-3512 in the JMF Tool at https://jmf.dot.ca.gov/
- Login to JMF Tool
- Start New HMA Design (CEM-3512)
- HMA supplier enters HMA design test data in DIME at https://dime.dot.ca.gov/. HMA design test data must be within 6 months.
- HMA supplier creates their CEM-3511 in the JMF Tool at https://jmf.dot.ca.gov/
- Start New JMF Submittal (CEM-3511)
- Submit to Caltrans
- The HMA supplier will receive results of the submittal package review within 15 business days of original request.
- If additional information is needed, the supplier has 5 days to submit complete documentation. If the information is not received within 5 days, the submittal is rejected.
- Once the submittal is approved, the assigned lab will coordinate collection of material samples. Samples must be taken in accordance with the current version of California Test 125 and in the presence of a Caltrans representative. The HMA plant producing these samples must have a current certification under the Department's Material Plant Quality Program.
- Caltrans provides JMF verification test results within 40 days of sampling, unless the supplier has a pending submittal of additional QC test results.
- If the JMF fails to pass verification, the supplier may adjust the JMF and submit the adjusted JMF in the JMF proposal form.
- If the JMF fails verification the second time, the supplier must submit new mix design testing data before resubmittal.
- If the JMF is verified, the supplier receives an e-mail notification along with a completed CEM 3513, Caltrans Hot Mix Asphalt Verification. The verified JMF is valid for 12 months.
Hamburg wheel track (AASHTO T 324) and Moisture susceptibility (AASHTO T 283) test results must be based on plant-produced material. Caltrans will begin verification testing after these test results are submitted.
If multiple JMFs are submitted simultaneously or an additional one is submitted before the review of a previously submitted JMF is complete, the supplier must designate the sequence that these JMFs are to be reviewed. Please allow an additional 30 days for the verification of each additional JMF.
All JMF submittals, including renewals, will be treated as new JMFs.
We are always looking for ways to improve the JMF Prequalification Program and our processes. Please e-mail your questions, concerns, or comments to JMF.Submittals@dot.ca.gov.
JMF-PP Documents and Links
- JMF Submittal Form
- DIME Instructions
- JMF Tool - Process
- JMF Tool - Login
- JMF Tool - Submit New Mix Design (CEM-3512)
- JMF Tool - Submit Test Data (DIME)
- JMF Tool - Submit New JMF (CEM-3511)
- JMF Tool - Dashboard
- JMF Tool - Required Samples and Test Results for a Given Mix Design