100th Anniversary of the Bridge Department
Celebrating 100 years of Bridge Department serving California
Established in 1923, the Bridge Department was a premier bridge-building organization from 1923 to 1973. The Bridge Department joined Caltrans in 1973, where it continued the state's efforts in designing safe and reliable bridges.
A Brief History of the Bridge Department
- 1923 Creation of Bridge Department
- 1933 San Francisco Bay Bridge
- 1935 Sacramento's Tower Bridge Inauguration
- 1940 Russian Gulch Bridge.
- 1969 Coronado Bridge
- 1973 Governor Ronald Reagan merged the Bridge Department, the Division of Highways, and the Department of Public Works to established the Department of Transportation.
- 1974 Russian Gulch Bridge was renamed Frederick W. Panhorst Bridge
- 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake and major Bridge Rebuilding
- 1994 Northridge Earthquake and major Bridge Rebuilding
- 2009 Confusion Hill Bridges
- 2013 San Francisco Bay Bridge Retrofit
Divisions of Engineering Services Sub-Divisions
Executive - Office of Strategic Quality Management
Materials Engineering and Testing Services
Program/Project Management and Office Engineer
Structures and Engineering Services