Classified Landscaped Freeways
A classified landscaped freeway is a section of freeway with ornamental vegetation planting that meets the criteria established by the California Code of Regulations, Outdoor Advertising Regulations, Title 4, Division 6. This designation is used in the control and regulation of outdoor advertising displays.
Landscaped Freeways and Outdoor Advertising Displays Presentation
Classified "Landscaped Freeways" List
Submitting a Request for Reclassification
When submitting a request to classify a section of landscaped freeway please do the following:
- Identify the location (post mile to post mile) using the Postmile Services Postmile Query Tool.
- Indicate the reason(s) why a section of freeway should be classified.
- Include site photographs to support your reason(s) why a section of freeway should be classified. Include site photographs from multiple viewpoints and identify the viewpoint locations on a Postmile Services aerial image.
- For a template of the memorandum to send to Mr. Elbert Cox, Principal Landscape Architect, or any further questions, please contact Rose.Bishop@dot.ca.gov.
When submitting a request to declassify a section of landscaped freeway please do the following:
- Clearly state whether you are requesting the declassification of a section of freeway (post mile X to post mile Y) or a spot location (at post mile X) as the location point of reference.
- Identify the proposed advertising display location using the Postmile Services Postmile Query Tool.
- Indicate the reason(s) why a section of freeway or spot location should be declassified. Refer to Business and Professions Code Section 5440 (c)(2) for more information.
- Include site photographs to support your reason(s) why a section of freeway or spot location should be declassified. Include site photographs from multiple viewpoints of both sides of the freeway and identify the viewpoint locations on a Postmile Services aerial image.
- Include a check for $500.00 processing fee for each location, clearly stating that it is for “Declassification of a Landscaped Highway Review”, to the State of California, California State Transportation Agency.
- Address your declassification request letter to Mr. Elbert Cox, Principal Landscape Architect. For a sample request letter or mailing address information, please contact Rose.Bishop@dot.ca.gov.
If a reclassification request is not granted, the person making the request may appeal this determination to Mr. Michael Keever, Project Delivery Deputy Director (Chief Engineer), pursuant to the provisions of Section 2241. Enforcement, (b), of the California Code of Regulations, Outdoor Advertising Regulations.
Caltrans Office of Outdoor Advertising (ODA)
This is a link to the Caltrans Office of Outdoor Advertising homepage. It includes links to the Outdoor Advertising Laws, Regulations, and Agreements, Permit Requirements, and the Outdoor Advertising Program Contact Information (Headquarters and District Contacts).
Outdoor advertising displays require a permit from Caltrans if they are within 660 feet from the edge of the right-of-way and viewed primarily by persons traveling on the main-traveled way of the freeway.
Visibility Improvement Request (VIR)
Pruning to improve or enhance the view of a legal outdoor advertising display is covered in Section 509 Outdoor Advertising Visibility Improvement, of the Encroachment Permits Manual. It includes the VIR process and VIR guidelines. A VIR shall only be considered when the work to be performed is within 500 feet from the display. This limitation does not apply to median plant pruning (Refer to Table 5.21).
Updated August 11, 2020