Stormwater Studies and Reports
Evaluation Stormwater Data Reports for Fiscal Years
Report provides Independent Quality Assurance (IQA) on over 50 Storm Water Data Reports selected statewide. Information from the IQA will be used to improve training and guidance.
- 2017/2018 (PDF)
- 2016/2017 (PDF)
- 2015/2016 (PDF)
- 2014/2015 (PDF)
- 2013/2014 (PDF)
- 2012/2013 (PDF)
- 2011/2012 (PDF)
- 2010/2011 (PDF)
- 2009/2010 (PDF)
- 2008/2009 (PDF)
Construction Site Water Pollution Control Cost Report
Engineer's estimate contractor's bid and final payment costs are analyzed for 101 recently completed projects. Recommendations for estimating water pollution control costs on future projects are provided.
- Construction Site Water Pollution Control Cost Report - Contract No. 43A0138 - Task Order No. 4 (PDF)
Concrete Washout Selection and Estimating Guideline
Concrete washout practices were observed for 30 projects throughout the State. Methods for estimating the quantity and cost for different types of concrete washout facilities are provided.
Final Erosion Prediction Procedure for Caltrans RUSLE2
A process is presented for estimating surface erosion on slopes in conjunction with selecting soil stabilization and sediment control BMPs. Methods for collecting and documenting climate, soil, topography, vegetation, and BMP selection are given. The Revised Universal Soil Loss Equation (RUSLE2) is used to estimate erosion for pre-construction, construction, and post construction phases.
- Erosion Prediction Procedure Manual (PDF)
- FACT SHEET - RUSLE2 as a Tool for Predicting Erosion and Selecting Erosion Control BMPs for Caltrans Roadway Projects (DOC)
Compost Reconnaissance Study
This study consists of a literature search and several technical memos intended as a "mythbusters" to remove institutional roadblocks preventing greater use of compost on Caltrans projects.
- Annotated Bibliography and Literature Review (PDF)
- Compost and Water Quality (PDF)
- Compost and Vegetation Establishment (PDF)
- Compost and Low Impact Development (PDF)
- Caltrans Compost Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
Soil Stabilization Cost Survey
To update estimating guidance for common soil stabilization BMPs, several erosion control contractors were invited to participate in a survey. This technical memo documents this survey and presents average installed costs for 12 commonly used applications ranging from tacked straw to erosion control netting.
- Soil Stabilization BMP Research for Erosion and Sediment Controls - Cost Survey Technical Memorandum (PDF)
- Estimating Soil Stabilization BMPs Matrix July-07 (PDF)