In 2019 Caltrans Pavement Program developed improved pavement smoothness specifications which provide incentives and disincentives for achieving pavement smoothness. Below are the spreadsheets used to determine applicable payment adjustments for both concrete and hot mix asphalt pavements. Additionally, there is an educational video and an example ProVAL project file (PVP) that demonstrates how to use the spreadsheets.
Concrete Pavement Smoothness (coming soon)
Hot Mix Asphalt (HMA) Pavement Smoothness
- Contractor HMA Adjustment Demo Video (video)
- HMA Smoothness Pay Adjustment Spreadsheet (XLSM)
- The above file is the most current version of the spreadsheet. Always use the most current version.
- Save file onto your computer. Open using Microsoft Excel (click "enable content" after opening)
- HMA Smoothness Adjustment Spreadsheet Training Videos
- ProVal Smoothness Assurance Module Training
- Sample Profiles (PPF) used in HMA Smoothness Payment Adjustment Demo Video
Headquarters Division of Construction contacts:
- Concrete Pavement: Deborah Yost, (916) 227-5166
- Hot Mix Asphalt Pavement: Pete Spector, (916) 227-7306