In 2019, Caltrans Pavement Program developed improved pavement smoothness specifications which provide incentives and disincentives for achieving pavement smoothness. Below are the spreadsheets used to determine applicable payment adjustments for both concrete and hot mix asphalt pavements. Additionally, there is an educational video and an example ProVAL project file (PVP) that demonstrates how to use the spreadsheets.
Payment Adjustment / Acceptance Worksheets and Checklists
- HMA Pavement Smoothness Pay Adjustment Spreadsheet (XLSM) "New V 1.10" updated 12/21/2021. Adds pay tables included in specifications approved in Fall 2021.
- Concrete Pavement Smoothness Pay Adjustment Spreadsheet (XLSM)
- Grind Existing Concrete Pavement Acceptance Spreadsheet (XLSM)
- Resident Engineer Submittal Review Checklists (PDF)
Payment Adjustment Worksheet Training Videos
ProVAL Corrective Grind Plan Development Training Videos
- ProVal Smoothness Assurance Module Training
- Sample ProVAL (PVP) Project File used in HMA Smoothness Training videos
Note: Opening the PVP file requires ProVAL software to be installed on your computer. ProVAL software is available at: http://www.roadprofile.com/
Headquarters Division of Construction contacts:
- Concrete Pavement: Deborah Yost, (916) 227-5166
- Hot Mix Asphalt Pavement: Pete Spector, (916) 227-7306