This website specifies the approved IT products that are currently approved by Caltrans IT. These standards were established based on current technology and Caltrans business needs. Conformance to these standards will ensure that a reliable and efficient computing environment is available to all Caltrans employees.
Adherence to these hardware and software standards will:
- Establish consistency of hardware and software tools for each business area
- Optimize the level of support through shared infrastructure, services, and expertise
- Manage the cost of procurement, refresh, and support of technology
- Ensure the compatibility and interoperability of products
- Improve security, privacy and availability
- Improve manageability and incident/problem resolution
DGS has negotiated Statewide Commodity Contracts with manufacturers and vendors for these products. Caltrans has adopted a subset of these as a Standard and listed configurations and options below.
There are four levels of desktop, laptop, and mobile computing users:
- Tier 1 Users – Standard computing level for most administrative employees; typical office applications include the MS Office Suite, Adobe products, web browsers, etc.
- Tier 2 Users – In addition to the Tier 1 User applications, an administrative power user has need for increased RAM and processing power. They may be working with multiple spreadsheets, larger databases, graphics files, etc.
- Tier 3 Users – An advanced computing level for memory-rich functions such as CADD programs video editing, application development and administration, 3-D mapping, 3-D modeling, Geographic Information System (GIS), high-end graphics and similar uses that exceed basic computing needs.
- Tier 4 Users – High-end CADD and Land Surveying only.
Printers and Multi-Function Devices (print, copy, scan)
These are on the DGS contracts index listing and can be looked up here for further information and specifications.
There are three major categories of printers and multi-function devices (MFDs):
- Desktop (personal printers are not supported except on a case-by-case basis to accommodate a special situation.)
- Workgroup (up to 15 users)
- Enterprise (16+ users, high volume, MFDs)
There are Copier contracts for Sharp (1-17-70-06A) and Canon (1-17-70-06B) MFDs. The models listed are considered Standard (no exception needed).
External HDD/SSD & Flash/Thumb/USB drives
These drives must be encrypted and password protected. Devices must:
- Use AES-256 encryption or better
- Enforce data encryption
- Enforce password protection Devices must not:
- Allow Wi-Fi connections
- Allow Bluetooth connections
- Allow users to disable encryption
- Allow users to disable password protection
Add-on software for encryption and password protection (such as that used by SanDisk) does not meet these standards.
1All desktop, laptop, display, printer and mobile computing standards are pre-defined through DGS contracts and have been accepted by the Caltrans IT standards committee.